Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Can I delay my period as I am due to go for a myomectomy. I

Customer Question

Can I delay my period as I am due to go for a myomectomy. I want to take noresthisterone but I am not sure whether the surgeon would prefer that I finished my period
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I can't really speak for your surgeon, but I think most surgeons would prefer not to interfere with your cycle. It won't make any difference to your surgeon or your surgery if you have finished your period or are currently on your period when you have the myomectomy.
Most likely it won't really hurt anything to try to delay your period with norethisterone. If you wish to do so, I would contact your surgeon and ask his/her opinion. If you were my patient I would ask you not to mess with your cycles before the surgery, unless it was needed to prevent blood loss. Best wishes for your surgery.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

I am concerned about bleeding during surgery but I am most concerned about having a period so soon after surgery- in the past after I have stopped noresthisterone my period has started 2 days after. I am concerned that having a period so soon after surgery may affect the healing process or burst the stitches or increase adhesions?

Is the myomectomy being performed on the outside of the uterus or the inside (though hysteroscopy)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It will be an open myomectomy (abdominal incision)

I don't think there is any reason to think that having a period soon after surgery will have any effect on healing, stitches or adhesions. The surgery is being done on the outside of your uterus, and your period comes from the inside of the uterus. Even if the myoma was so deep that it went all the way to the inside, I don't think having your period will cause any problem.
Myomas have progesterone receptors, and progesterone can sometimes even increase the size of fibroids (not usually). I think it's better to keep things simple.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your replies

You're welcome.
Thank you for your payment and rating and the bonus!