Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

in my teens and 20s I had endometriosis, at 27 I was given

Customer Question

in my teens and 20s I had endometriosis, at 27 I was given the injected pill, just one dose, and never had a period again. In my late 30s I had some period like pain but no period and I was diagnosed with a uterine prolapse. I am now turning 41 and have had progressively painful abdominal cramps for the last few days. Last night I noticed some brown clotted blood when I wiped my self after urinating. Today the cramps have been just as bad as when I had endometriosis. There is some more blood and it's getting redder. Is it possible my periods have just restarted after 14 years, or is this more likely to do with the prolapse which is so low it's almost hanging out?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Have you delivered children vaginally?
Did you have no pelvic pain since age 27 until now?
Did you have hot flashes at some time?
Do you take any medications?
Have you had much weight change? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not had children. I am single and have osteoarthritis in pretty much all my joints so am almost housebound by that.
I have in the last year had the odd mild cramp, but my GP said that was the prolapse.
I have not had hot flashes, I am not in menopause. My gyn said that I could restart my periods with hormones if required but I declined
I take Zomorph, 400mg a day, Celebrex 800mg a day, Gabapentin 800mg a day, Omeprazole 20mg a day and clenil inhaler
I have been complaining about my inability to lose weight to my GP. I know I am unable to exercise but I lost my mum 4 months ago and stopped eating causing me to be very anaemic but I didn't lose a single pound in weight even though I went days without food.
Yours is an unusual medical history.
I have no idea why your periods stopped since the injection at age 27, but it seems like your periods are starting up again. It would appear that your hormones have been low all this time, which would explain the apparent disappearance of endometriosis and your periods, both of which depend on hormones for existence.
It's also unusual for a woman to get uterine prolapse when she hasn't had childbirth, although it does happen. The prolapse can cause some discomfort, but generally would not cause abdominal cramps like endometriosis. I think that most likely your endometriosis is back, triggered by the resurgence of your hormones.
Perhaps another injection would stop your periods and cramps again, although it would not be at all certain. It's common with the depo provera injection for periods to stop, but after the injections are stopped, periods generally resume.
I would see your doctor, and get a referral to an OB/GYN if possible. That would give you the best chance to really figure out what's going on and what to do about it. It may partly depend on what happens in the next few months, whether the bleeding and cramps continue on or not.
If they do continue on, I think a hysterectomy is probably in order, both for the prolapse plus the endometriosis and cramps. If you can live with the prolapse, there are shots (depo lupron) that will temporarily shut down the endometriosis, and perhaps help get you through until menopause.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating
If possible, write me back when this all gets figured out and let me know how you're doing. Thanks.