Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I feel as though there is a swelling at the opening of my vagina

I feel as though there is a swelling at the opening of my vagina that is against the left lower side of the entrance. I only noticed as I suspect I have thrush as I am feeling soreness since starting 40mg of prednisolone and azithromycin for my respiratory condition. I was applying canasten just in case when I noticed. I often feel the same soreness when on antibiotics but it resolves natural after a week or so without treatment. It is particularly sore and I can't sleep which is why I thought I could try sod treatment. This is not sex related.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

A swelling on one side on the low part of the entrance can be a Bartholins gland cyst. This is a blocked gland opening. Here is a link to an image of such a cyst:

Dr. C. :

http://actilean.healthinformatics.net/docs/english/art_pages/barthcys.art.asp

Dr. C. :

Of course it would be necessary to examine a woman to be sure this is what is happening.

Dr. C. :

A Bartholins gland cyst is usually treated by applying moist heat, either by soaking in a tub or using a heating pad. This softens the blockage in the duct opening of the gland.

Customer: I had thought of this but images do not appear similar. The swelling looks like its part of the wall which is not smooth to touch ?
Dr. C. :

Can you figure out how to take a picture of it and attach it to this chat?

Dr. C. :

If you have a digital camera, it's possible to upload the image for me to see.

Dr. C. :

So is it more towards the inside?

Customer: I don't think I can attach as there is no obvious option. Yes it is in the inner part of the entrance
Dr. C. :

In what way does it not look like a Bartholins gland? They can be pretty variable in how they look. Also tell me more about whether there is pain with it, burning, discharge, etc.

Dr. C. :

Usually there should be a button on your screen for uploading. I don't know what your screen looks like but if necessary I can get customer service involed to help.

Dr. C. :

involved

Customer: Pics of cyst look like an obvious contained cyst of some sort in the pics but this feels like an uneven surface at the entrance almost like it's inflamed wall . It almost sticks out
Customer: No discharge and does feel like the area is dore/burning. More so after my shower . I have not used any different soap
Dr. C. :

No matter what it is, it sounds best to apply moist heat. If it looks inflammed it may a blockage of one of the other cysts in the area. Taking ibuprofen will reduce pain and inflammation as well. We usually recommend 5-10 minutes at a time 4 x daily.

Dr. C. :

I wish I could see it, it would be easier to help.

Dr. C. :

Sometimes a yeast infection can cause a similar feel/look.

Dr. C. :

In that case the heat could make it feel worse and applying cold plain yogurt or ice packs would feel better.

Dr. C. :

But usually a yeast infection isn't just on one side.

Dr. C. :

How big is it?

Customer: I'm on iPhone and no button for upload unfortunately. I did take ibuprofen and treated as yeast infection with canasten before this. To be honest it may even have been there all along but just swelling with irritation so hoping it's quite a normal structure?
Dr. C. :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]124.35233160621762[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE]top: 50%; left: 50%; height: 334px; width: 416px; opacity: 1; position: fixed; margin-top: -167px; margin-left: -208px;[/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Dr. C. :

I was trying to send another image with a rougher appearance...not sure that worked.

Dr. C. :

In the area, often women can cofuse hymenal ring remnants with something wrong.

Customer: I had also don't yogurt and ice but I felt as though I was making word everytime it was touched/washed
Dr. C. :

Is there an open sore on it?

Customer: No open sore . Can view image
Customer: I'm 36 and have child could it be hyman ring?
Dr. C. :

I asked about an open sore because I thought maybe it was a herpes outbreak. But that usually wouldn't cause swelling, just pain and a sore.

Dr. C. :

Yes it could be a hymenal ring but it sounds like if it is, there is something else going on on top of it.

Dr. C. :

A hymenal ring by itself doesn't hurt.

Dr. C. :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE]width: 199px; height: 149px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: -62px; margin-top: 0px;[/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Dr. C. :

There is an image of a hymenal ring remnant that is prominent.

Customer: Doesn't hurt just the whole area is sore , I normally get very similar sensation when I'm in antibiotics. Very uncomfortable more than anything. Stops few days after medication has been stopped
Dr. C. :

Usually after antibiotics we would again think of a yeast infection. Some yeast is resistant to the usual medications such as canestin.

Customer: Possible iPhone will not let me open links - sorry. I will look this up. Thank u
Customer: Usually resolves all by itself with no treatment
Dr. C. :

In that case we would use a medicine by mouth called fluconazole.

Customer: Azithromycin and augmentin seem to evoke
Customer: Worse with prednisolone
Dr. C. :

Yes that usually would be a yeast flare after taking antibiotics.

Dr. C. :

The steroid suppresses the immune system and makes any infection easier to come out and flare.

Dr. C. :

I wonder if you have a strain of yeast that's resistant to the usual treatment. With stubborn yeast, I will use a substance called gentian violet. It's an old remedy for ringworm. If you have flares likes this alot, it may be worth having a vaginal treatment with that. But again, without seeing it, it's impossible for me to tell what is going on really.

Customer: I took that with canasten as they come together on this occasion only but no improvement really. Think it will go away after stopping steroids but it's just particularly uncomfortable at the mo since I'm trying to sleep. Ibuprofen has helped somewhat
Dr. C. :

Applying a paste of baking soda or oatmeal may cool it down.

Dr. C. :

It sounds like you just need to get it to feel better now so you can get some rest. Taking some Benadryl may also help.

Customer: Thanks I will try this and try and get seen in the week. Unfortunately I work in medicine and will be on call hence the fishing around for answers online! A first for me!
Customer: Many thanks
Dr. C. :

The other thing I can think of in a pinch is applying something like Oragel which is a topical anesthetic gel usually used for tooth pain.

Dr. C. :

That may absorb into the tissue and numb it temporarily.

Dr. C. :

Ok, anything else I can help with today?

Dr. C. :

I hope it cools down and you get some rest soon.

Customer: No that's fine. Thank you
Dr. C. :

ok. I wish I had a magic wand.

Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience: 30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator