Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

Hello, I have unfortunately managed to take far too many

I have unfortunately managed to take far too many vitamins by mistake over the last few months and I did not realise before I was already pregnant. I am now 5 weeks pregnant (5 weeks since my last period) and I have been taking FertilAid and Perfectil Platinum, both containing iron, betacarotene, vitamin D, and I most worried about the vitamin E content which is 100 iu in the one and 50mg in the other. In addition I have used a cream containing retinol as one of its ingredients, and had foie gras once since conception. I am worried the baby will have birth defects due to too much vitamin a or e.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

I would stop everything completely. Also, do not take the retinol.

Dr. Lawrence :

I would consult with a genetic counselor so you can review all of your meds and timing of exposure in detail.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will consult with a doctor, but I would just like to get your opinion on what the likelyhood is of me having harmed my baby? Should I be very worried?
It is hard to say without knowing the extent of exposure. However, you are in the very early stages of fetal development, so most early exposure is an all or nothing effect. So the good news is you have identified this early and may have stopped all exposure before organ development began. The genetic counselor can really help you sort out the timing and the amount of exposure and give you a more detailed risk assessment. But you are still at a good early point in the pregnancy.