Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

I am 5 weeks pregnant. At the weekend I had to go to the ER

I am 5 weeks pregnant. At the weekend I had to go to the ER and was diagnosed with a UTI I had burning when I Urinate and some brown spotting. I was prescribed antibiotics and told this was normal. They did another pregnancy test and this was positive. I had the spotting again the next day although this time it was a streak of red before turning brown and again very lightly the next day. All instances of spotting have been very light and have happened on each day.
On Sunday when I wiped it looked like there was a tiny flake of skin in my discharge (flat and grey) this only happened once and I have been experiencing no pain. My pregnancy symptoms continue to increase. Could this be linked to the uti. The flake has freaked me out.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

Hi. Let me read your question carefully.

Customer: Okay
Dr. Lawrence :

Yes. The bleeding and flake could easily be related to the uti.

Dr. Lawrence :

I would to be sure, check a blood HCG level now and repeat it again in 2 days.

Dr. Lawrence :

If it is increasing then that is a very good sign.

Dr. Lawrence :

By 6 weeks, I would have an ultrasound to confirm viability of the pregnancy just to be sure.

Customer: so a flake is not unusual?
Dr. Lawrence :

No. Miscarriage does not look like a flake.

Dr. Lawrence :

It would look like spongy, gray, off white tissue. Also you would have severe cramping and more bleeding.

Customer: So the flake is likely to be a symptom of my uti?
Dr. Lawrence :

Yes, more likely.

Dr. Lawrence :

But the testing I recommended will provide good data to back that up.

Customer: The er told me not to worry about spotting. Is this normal in pregnancy. I have the doctors on fri so will request those tests.
Dr. Lawrence :

Spotting can be normal in pregnancy, but not all spotting is. It depends on the cause. If it is related to implantation, then yes it is. You could be having it because of the UTI. The only way to know for sure is to investigate it further like I recommended. You have a reason to spot which is good, but you should know for sure. The good news is that you are not cramping.

Customer: ok thanks
Dr. Lawrence :

Your welcome. Best of luck.