Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

A 28 year old female. Had a baby 5 months ago. Am now 7 weeks

Customer Question

A 28 year old female. Had a baby 5 months ago. Am now 7 weeks pregnant. Thinking if I should go ahead with termination or not, considering I have one fallopian tube due to an ectopic which occurred 2 years ago. Please I need advice as am worried about my chances of conceiving in the future if I go ahead with a termination.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
You seem to be quite fertile, getting pregnant about 3 months after childbirth, especially if it didn't take too long to get pregnant with your 5 month old baby. In general, nothing proves fertility like getting pregnant.
You're also still young, so your fertility won't be ebbing away like it would if you were older.
That said, having one tube does cause a decrease in fertility and often makes the process of getting pregnant take longer.
So it's hard to know the answer to your question. Just in case you did have trouble conceiving in the future (or were unable to do so), you might be very sorry about terminating this pregnancy.
So I would say that most likely you'll get pregnant in the future without much difficulty, but of course there is no way to know that for sure. I wish you well in your decision.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My case is a tricky one. From your a response I guess it's 50/50. Is it worth visiting a gynaecologist to talk more on this ?

It may be worth a visit. The doctor can delve into your fertility a little deeper as far as any previous attempts to get pregnant, how long it took to get pregnant, etc.
Most likely, the conclusion would be approximately the same. You're probably fertile and will be able to have a baby later at a time that is better for you. But there are no guarantees.
Thank you for your payment and rating.