Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

So I wear the Ortho Evra patch as contraception, and over the

So I wear the Ortho Evra patch as contraception, and over the summer, there was a month where I wanted to skip my period (I did it once before and it went very smoothly), so I just skipped over the patch-less week. I didn't get my period, but then a week or so afterwards, I started (what I presume was) spotting. It carried on happening, for the remaining two weeks, and now is my patch-less week. I have two questions: I'm bleeding a lot more heavily than usual; is this because of the period I skipped? And secondly, should all the bleeding stop at the same time that this period comes to an end?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Its not necessarily due to the period you skipped. If you skip periods more regularly and wear three patches in a row before having a period, your period will actually get much lighter over time.

Dr. K. :

Theres no way to know when the bleeding will stop

Dr. K. :

But if you put on a new patch at the correct time even if you are still bleeding, that will help the period to stop quicker

Dr. K. :

I hope this helps

Customer:

Thank you! Is it unhealthy to skip periods more regularly?

Dr. K. :

No its not at all

Dr. K. :

You dont need to have a period while on hormonal birth control