Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am 47 years old and having a laparoscopic and vaginal hysterectomy

I am 47 years old and having a laparoscopic and vaginal hysterectomy to remove uterus, cervix and ovaries on 20th October 2014, for heavy periods. I also have been told I have a 3cm fibroid. I have opted for ovaries to be removed because I have severe PMT, which includes anxiety, mood swings, and generally unable to cope with life for 1 week per month. I commenced HRT Climigest 1mg 1 year ago, which helped with the heavy bleeding a little and I feel great when taking oestrogen(blue tablets) I STILL HAVE pmt when I come to the end of the white progesterone tablets for approx. 1 week.My concern is getting the best HRT after my hysterectomy & BSO, as I do not want to feel like I did when I have PMT.I have read blogs where women cry and get depressed after hysterectomy.I have read about Testosterone replacement, and HRT implants, tablets and patches. Can you suggest a suitable HRT Preparation as I dread feeling like I do when I have PMT, and I want to have them prepared to administer straight after my operation.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

After your hysterectomy you no longer need progesterone which helps alot

Dr. K. :

Progesterone is what is responsible for your mood issues. You dont need it any more as its only used to protect the uterine lining from overgrowth and cancer.

Dr. K. :

you will be able to use just estrogen.

Dr. K. :

I would suggest a patch, since it gives you a steady state in the blood stream and is not metabolized by the liver

Dr. K. :

In the UK you have available Evorel patches

Dr. K. :

Starting with the 100 dose right after surgery is a good choice, eventually with the goal of getting to 50

Dr. K. :

Most women do not need testosterone. It is primarily used for low sex drive and fatigue. That being said, it doesnt work very well and has some side effects. Few women like it and benefit from it. I would wait on that.

Dr. K. :

I hope this helps

Customer:

Thank you it has helped a lot. I have my hysterectomy BSO on the 20th October. I am still taking climigest and will be on my oestrogen part of my Climigest 1mg until then. Can I continue to take my Climigest until my operation day, as I do not want to stop as I feel better on the oestrogen part of climigest. Then start on Evorel 100 after my hysterectomy

Dr. K. :

Yes, I would stay on the estrogen only part of it. Skip the progesterone completely

Dr. K. :

Good luck with surgery.

Dr. K. :

Please consider a positive rating and come back any time you need more help