Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Hello I'm 61 years old and had a hysterrectomy and bilateral

I'm 61 years old and had a hysterrectomy and bilateral oophrectomy and removal of the cervix 22 years ago. A couple of weeks ago, after intercourse, I felt quite sore. I put it down to not having enough lubrication, but over the next couple of weeks I would feel sore on and off and realised that wiping myself after going to the toilet aggravated the problem. I also noticed some slight period-type pain that would come and go. I then decided to use a mirror and discovered a fleshy round growth poking out of my vagina. It looks as though it might have a small head on it but I can't really see that clearly. I have made an appointment to see my doctor, but I'm a bit frantic about it. I can't find anything on the internet that describes my problem. I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Many thanks!
Jannah
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

I'm glad that you have an appointment to be examined since that is really the only way to be 100% sure of what is going on. But I can say that most likely it's not something serious such as a cancer.

Dr. C. :

My first thoughts are that it is perhaps a loosening of the structures of the vaginal wall. The medical term is "prolapse".

Customer:

Customer:

That's a relief. I've been really scared.

Dr. C. :

Just inside the vaginal opening, there are often a series of hymenal ring remnants.

Dr. C. :

It is most likely that one of these is what you're seeing.

Customer:

I had a prolapse about 4 years ago and had surgical intervention. There's a mesh between my vagina and the back passage now.

Dr. C. :

I've also had women mistake the front wall of the vagina for a round mass when they see it sitting at the opening.

Dr. C. :

That would be called a "cystocele".

Dr. C. :

Yes, so it's possible that it's now a different portion of the wall, either the sides or the front that is prolapsing.

Dr. C. :

That is MUCH more likely than anything serious.

Customer:

although the swelling is fleshy and round, it looks like the tissues behind it are almost a part of it and it looks on first impression like a long roundn piece of swollen flesh that's sticking out of my vagina

Dr. C. :

Vaginal cancers are relatively rare and would present as a bleeding painful mass that is firm.

Dr. C. :

A long round piece of swollen flesh may be a hymenal ring remnant. Do you have the ability to take a digital photo and upload it into this chat?

Customer:

it's not bleeding at all. just sore to touch and this pain in my bladder area occasionally

Dr. C. :

Vaginal cancer look "ugly and angry".

Customer:

no this looks very healthy

Customer:

very fleshy

Dr. C. :

So most likely a normal part of the vaginal wall anatomy that has started to prolapse.

Dr. C. :

That is MUCH more likely than anything serious. By far.

Customer:

I'm no good at technical stuff. I wish I could!

Dr. C. :

Well that's ok. I hope you've found my opinion reassuring.

Dr. C. :

When is your appointment?

Customer:

but there's a definiate round blob attached to the vaginal wall

Customer:

my appointment is on Monday

Dr. C. :

The other thing that we often see are cysts along the walls of the vagina.

Customer:

thank you very much for your thoughts. I'm not so scared now!

Dr. C. :

These are called Gartners duct cysts but usually they wouldn't be that visible unless there was some prolapse.

Customer:

cysts. ok. yes it definitely could be that.

Dr. C. :

Again the fact that the tissue looks healthy tells me the chance of it being anything serious and scareyis VERY LOW.

Customer:

I was searching the internet and couldn't find anything to fit my symptoms

Customer:

I appreciate your help. Really I do. I can handle anything as long as it isn't cancer.

Dr. C. :

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer:

thank you very much for your time.

Customer:

no thank you. You've been a great help.

Dr. C. :

This really doesn't sound like cancer at all.

Customer:

I wish you all the best for the future :-))

Customer:

thank goodness!

Dr. C. :

Thanks. I aim for excellent service and rely on your feedback.

Customer:

you're welcome. Thank you very much xxx

Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience: 30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator