Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

I have been taking cerazette mini pill for over 2 years and

Customer Question

I have been taking cerazette mini pill for over 2 years and have had no problems I have had no periods or spotting whilst taking it. About 3 weeks ago I had a bleed that lasted about a week. The blood was quite brown. That finished and a week later I started to bleed again. It wasn't heavy at first but has developed into quite a heavy bleed. The blood is very bright red and there are a lot of quite large clots constantly. Is this just my body having a flush out as I haven't had a period for so long or should I be worried? The bleed has been going on for just over a week with the clotting for about 5 days. I am still taking the pill.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

Dr. Lawrence :

I agree that you should continue taking the pill.

Dr. Lawrence :

No, this is not old. When you are on this pill, the lining of the uterus gets very thin, that is why you don't get an appreciable period.

Dr. Lawrence :

This bleeding is new and not reflective of overgrowth of the lining.

Dr. Lawrence :

You should definitely be seen by your gynecologist.

Dr. Lawrence :

You need an examination to rule out a polyp or fibroids or anything else on exam.

Dr. Lawrence :

You also need some blood work....you should have a blood count (CBC), metabolic panel (CMP) and assessment of your thyroid (TSH at a minimum) as well as pituitary gland (Prolactin).

Dr. Lawrence :

In the meantime, to help the bleeding, you can take two pills a day for at least the next 3-5 days.

Dr. Lawrence :

Let me know if any questions and I will be happy to answer them.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please click on excellent service.

Dr. Lawrence :

I am happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Dr. Lawrence :

Or give you additional information.

Dr. Lawrence :

It may be that you will need to change your pill if all of the tests I mentioned are normal. Depending on the exam, your doctor may also want to do a pelvic Ultrasound to look at the uterus and ovaries.

Dr. Lawrence :

I see that you are offline. I will switch out of the chat. Please post a response if you have any questions. Please provide positive feedback. Thank you.