Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

We have been ttc for 4 months now. Have had ultrasound (all

We have been ttc for 4 months now. Have had ultrasound (all ok) fsh blood test 6 and 21 day prog test. My gp said all were normal but my prog level was 25, ive just been reading it should be over 30 so now am panicking. Why did gp say it was ok? Im suffering from depression and anxiety and have just been put on fluoextine. What is ok for prog test? I had it done on day 24 of 30 day cycle, im 34.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

First of all, after four months of trying there is really no basis or need to do any labwork or look into why you have not conceived. Infertility is defined as a year with no conception. After six months only about 60 percent of couples are pregnant, that is why no workup is done until one year.

Dr. K. :

A day 24 progesterone is useless. Day 21 is the day it should be done. Its also of no value in a 25 year old who has been trying four months. It means nothing. Progesterone is only of value in couples with infertility and those on artificial cycles. 25 is fine and no reason to panic. In addition, using progesterone would not help

Dr. K. :

Fluoxetine is approved for use in pregnancy if you need it.

Dr. K. :

Progesterone level of at least 10ng/ml indicates ovulation but you have not provided the units for your results so its not possible to compare.

Dr. K. :

Sometimes a progesterone level is done a little later in women with longer cycles like 35 days, but a 30 day cycle is normal and it should be done on day 21

Customer: Hi
Customer: thanks, ***** ***** 34 not 25 though. Im not sure what the units are but everything ive read in uk keeps saying it should be over 30. My gp said it needed to be done 7 days before period which is why i went on day 23/24
Dr. K. :

Ok yes, my mistake, that still does not change anything We really only change the timing of the test in very long cycles, not in those with 30 days cycles.

Dr. K. :

Thats why you are getting that result. I bet it was higher a few days prior Its really of little value anyway. Even at 34, it is better to just keep trying for a year

Customer: I read some people have prog ratings of 45 so my 25 does seem very low. I had the ultrasound done 5 days before and uterine lining was 7mm so does that sound like id ovulated?
Dr. K. :

The most reliable indication of ovulation is normal cycles. A progesterone of 25 most likely means it was drawn 3 days late. Get an ovulation predictor kit, much more reliable and helpful

Dr. K. :

They are online and in pharmacies near the pregnancy tests

Dr. K. :

I see you are in the chat

Customer: My cycles are 27/31 days every month and i have a week of ewcm days 8-15 but just got worried about my score of 25
Customer: Think units are nmol/l
Customer: Just seen that to convert nmol/l you divide by 2.5 so my result would be 10 mg/l
Customer: Sorry 10 ng/ml
Dr. K. :

So 25 is normal and if your cycles are 27-31 days, the progesterone level should have been drawn on day 21. It was done too early and thats why is a little low. Right. Its at the lower limit of where it should be.

Dr. K. :

Again, the only thing this level means is that it was done 3 days too late.

Dr. K. :

You should not be obsessing about it

Customer: Ok thank you,
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.