Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Hi again. I have discussed HRT after my hysterectomy and BSO

Hi again. I have discussed HRT after my hysterectomy and BSO with the gynaecologist. He suggested I start on Evorel 50 Hrt patches. I have suffered from severe PMT for many years, and I have a strong family history of Heart Disease, Diabetes, Stroke. Do you think it is more beneficial to start on Evorel 100. Also I am 47 years old, fit and well, do you think having my ovaries removed will increase my risk of Coronary Heart Disease, or will my HRT reduce the risk. Thank You
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Your ovaries will stop functioning on their own in an average of 3 years. So it does not matter if you have them out and go on hormones, your risk of heart disease is the same.

Dr. K. :

Hormones do not really help your risk of heart disease much, as we believed in the patch.

Dr. K. :

The choice of hormone therapy should be yours.'

Dr. K. :

If you prefer to start with the higher dose, you may have an easier transition.

Dr. K. :

It may be best to eventually get down to the lower dose but its not necessary nor beneficial to start with it.

Dr. K. :

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 47 years old having my vaginal hysterectomy and ovaries removed on Monday. I am having my ovaries removed because I have severe PMT.I also have fibroids. I do not want to have mood swings after. Can I put my Evorel 100 patch on immediately after my surgery

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
You should wait about 2 days until you are up and ambulating. This avoids risk of blood clot. You will not have symptoms if you do this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am currently taking HRT climigest 1mg. I am currently on the first cycle of oestrogen. Can I continue to take until Sunday, Then my op is Monday

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Yes you can. It does not change your risk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had an excellent response from you, thank you. I have rated your answers as excellent, and paid a bonus. Thank you again

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Thats such a nice compliment . Thank you so much!