Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Good Morning, I have been taking Cerelle for 12 months now

Good Morning,
I have been taking Cerelle for 12 months now to help cope with very heavy periods. since I started taking I have had no dietary changes but have put on 13lb and and also have had prolonged periods of bleeding, not as heavy as before but bothersome, my last period started 3rd Aug 2014 and is still here. I am considering stopping immediately. Other than a coil what are my alternatives (I have fibroids) and will my wright revert back to normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Cerelle is a progesterone only mini pill.

Dr. K. :

Since it is not a combination pill and has no estrogen, it is not very effective in controlling your cycles

Dr. K. :

I see you are 48 but if you do not smoke, you should be on a 20 mcg estrogen combination pill. That will control bleeding much better. Your alternative is hysterectomy

Dr. K. :

One pill like this is microgestin 1/20

Dr. K. :

Being on progesterone only leads to weight gain, so yes you would lose the weight but would also need to try

Customer: Thank you, ***** *****