Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Please can you advise. I have a -lobar inverted right nipple

Please can you advise. I have a bi-lobar inverted right nipple which has been present for 2years, last mammogram was 18 months ago and apart from this the mammogram was normal. 4 weeks ago in this breast I got a 'tingling sensation' and the nipple has since been sensitive, however as far I can tell apart from the inversion the breast looks normal , I have seen my family doctor who examined me twice and who did not feel there was an issue, no lumps, no discharge. Whilst it is not painful as such do I need to be concerned and have you any idea what might cause these sensations?, I am concerned it may be cancer but because of the inversion may it just be this that is the problem?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

An inverted nipple is always concerning and should be fully investigated.

Dr. K. :

Ask your gp for a referral to a general surgeon for a second opinion

Dr. K. :

I think it is important that cancer under the nipple be more fully ruled out

Customer:

thank you I will do this, whilst aia appreciate that you cannot say that it's not cancer, could it be anything else?

Dr. K. :

Yes its usually NOT cancer and we cant determine a cause. It may be due to blockage of a duct that is pulling the nipple in but thats hard to identify

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** and get an appointment tomorrow, just concerned that this has been going on for a month and on neither occasion has it been suggested that I see a specialist, I am anxious about this as no doubt you can tell, so any advice on how I can persuade her to refer me would be helpful

Dr. K. :

You will just need to demand it, and aggressively manage your own health care. :)