Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I had an ultrasound which showed I have fibroids. I was told

Customer Question

I had an ultrasound which showed I have fibroids. I was told that my left ovary could not be seen and that the scan did not show a clear enough image to determine if this was because of another fibroid or something else. I was referred for an MRI and told that I was being seen under the two week access rule. I also had a blood test which I was told showed that my CA125 level was outside the normal range as it was 39. The next day I received a letter for an appointment not for an MRI but to see an oncologist. Does this mean that I have been diagnosed with cancer as I have not been referred to the gynaecological department? I also have just gone 6 weeks without a period which has never happened before. I am definitely not pregnant! As I am 50 I was told that it is probably menopause but as it has happened just as I am having these other problems I am worried that it may be connected. My male doctor is not very sympathetic in his manner and just told me there's no point worrying as I will have to just wait and see. That is not helping my anxiety!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Its good that you were referred to a gyn oncologist right off since it appears that your gyn Dr does not know what he is doing.

Dr. K. :

Its normal not to see the ovaries in women who are postmenopausal. They do shrink down so not seeing them is a normal finding.

Dr. K. :

Fibroids are benign.

Dr. K. :

I am not sure what the mri results were. Did they show anything in the ovary?

Dr. K. :

Maybe you have not had it yet.

Dr. K. :

I am also not sure why the ca125 was done The test is not useful as a screening test. It is only useful if a suspicious ovarian mass is found, which is not the case. It can also be elevated in benign conditions like fibroids

Dr. K. :

I would not be worried about a level of 39 35 is the limit of normal. People with cancer are in the hundreds or thousands.

Dr. K. :

I think you will get much more useful info from the gyn onc Dr Have you had the mri yet?