Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

How would I know if I had a pelvic organ prolapse?

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

At age 26 this would be highly unusual. Pelvic organ prolapse is usually found in older women especially those who have given vaginal birth, the more times and bigger babies, the higher the risk. Risk is also increased in women who are obese.

Dr. C. :

The only way to tell for sure is to be examined. With pelvic organ prolapse, the bladder, rectum, cervix and/or uterus will fall out and hang lower than the vaginal opening.

Dr. C. :

It's normal to see some fleshy pink tissue at the opening of the vagina. This is usually the hymenal ring tissue. In some cases, if a woman has given vaginal birth, either the front wall of the vagina or the back wall can be visible at the opening. But it usually doesn't hang out lower than the opening. If it does, it's possible that there is prolapse.

Dr. C. :

Sometimes, seeing a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor rehabilitation can reverse some of the weakness, especially if the main reason is that the pelvic floor muscles are weak. But sometimes it's the tissue itself that is stretches and muscle strengthening can't fully reverse that. Sometimes we recommend surgery to remove the loose tissue. This is called an anterior or posterior repair. Sometimes depending on the situation, we have women fitted with a silicone device called a pessary to keep the organs from prolapsing. This is all determined by a careful exam.

Dr. C. :

I hope this information has been helpful and reassuring. If you're concerned about some part of your anatomy, you can take a digital photo and upload it into this chat for me to see. It's not always clear but sometimes can be helpful.

Dr. C. :

Please REPLY if I can clarify anything or provide more information. I want to be sure you get the most helpful response for your situation possible. I aim for excellent service. If satisfied, I do appreciate a feedback rating.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : So is it very unlikely for me to have it ?
Dr. C. :

Yes at age 27 it would be very unusual unless you've given vaginal birth a few times or had some other rare situation. Is there something that you see in the area that looks odd to you? What gave you the idea that this was something you might have?

Dr. C. :

26 sorrynot 27

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : It don't feel right down there
Dr. C. :

In what way? Does it hurt or something you feel?

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : And I do suffer from health anixtey
Dr. C. :

In your age group, the most likely reason to feel something like a bump by the opening would be a Bartholins gland cyst.

Dr. C. :

The best treatment for health anxiety is proper clear information.

Dr. C. :

Having an exam by a gynecologist would go a long way in relieving anxiety about prolapse too.

Dr. C. :

But the genitals normally have a lot of bumps and ridges, changes in texture and can look weird if you look closely.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : Cause about a week two weeks ago my boyfriend fingerd me and it ain't felt right since
Dr. C. :

So maybe he tore some of the soft tissue inside with his fingernail. He wouldn't have been able to cause prolapse with fingering.

Dr. C. :

Or maybe there is an infection.

Dr. C. :

If his hands weren't perfectly clean, he may have carried some bacteria or yeast inside.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : Can you get std with fingering
Dr. C. :

Yes that's possible if he touches himself and then puts his fingers inside you it's possible.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : I'm just scared also I have cancer
Dr. C. :

The chance of cancer is close to zero

Dr. C. :

Your age is very protective against this having anything to do with cancer.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : If I'm a virgin can I still have a smear
Dr. C. :

If you haven't been had an exam by a gynecologist, then it would be a good idea to have one. They could do a smear and check for STDs at the same time.

Dr. C. :

They could also look at the tissue and see if there is an infection or any other kind of problem.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : I do have pcos
Dr. C. :

PCOS is a condition that can cause skipped periods and increase in heair growth or acne around the body.

Dr. C. :

It doesn't really cause any trouble with the vagina.

Dr. C. :

hair

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : What actually is it ?
JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : Don't I release eggs ?
Dr. C. :

A good way of thinking about PCOS is "lazy ovaries". Rach month is women without PCOS, the ovary prepares an egg to be released. If she doesn't get pregnant, the area where the egg came out of the ovary changes the hormone levels to make a period come. In women with PCOS, the overy gets "lazy" and doesn't create an egg to be released, so a woman skipped the period.

Dr. C. :

Each month not Rach month.

Dr. C. :

I'm trying to type too fast.

Dr. C. :

Yes PCOS is not releasing eggs.

Dr. C. :

For women with PCOS who want to be pregnant, we can use a medication called clomid or sometimes metformin to "wake up" the ovaries.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : So I can still get pregnant
Dr. C. :

Some women grow out of PCOS as they get older. Keeping weight down can also reverse PCOS.

Dr. C. :

Yes. There is even a supplement called myo-inositol that can improve ovarian function in women with PCOS.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : I'm on the pill
Dr. C. :

Losing weight can also help.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : For my pcos
Dr. C. :

The pill is a good idea for now because it can help keep the lining of the uterus normal and also helps with the excess ahir.

Dr. C. :

hair

Dr. C. :

The pill is usually the first thing we recommend for women with PCOS.

Dr. C. :

When they want to get pregnant, they go off and if they aren't pregnant on their own within 6 months, we can start treatment to get the ovaries going.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : I have been the pill for 8 years
Dr. C. :

Most women with PCOS are able to get pregnant although many do need some help.

Dr. C. :

The length of time on the pill doesn't matter regarding future fertility. As long as it's working for you now, no need to go off.

Dr. C. :

I hope this has been helpful and reassuring information.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : And do you think I'm sill for think about the proplse
Dr. C. :

No, I used to teach at a medical university and I always say that the only silly question is the one that you didn't ask. It's never silly to want information. There is no reason why you would know that without asking.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : So it is not likely I have it
Dr. C. :

Not likely at all. About as close to zero chance as you can get.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : So I should stop worrying about it
Dr. C. :

I'm hoping that with this reassuring information from me, you'll be able to stop worrying about it.

Dr. C. :

The tendency to worry is something that some people struggle with. For me I know that getting information helps calm my own worries.

Dr. C. :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]103.8961038961039[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Dr. C. :

There's an image of some prolapse for you!

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : No image
Dr. C. :

I never heard of prolapse in a 26 year old who is virginal.

Dr. C. :

Sorry the images don't always paste right. But if you google pelvic prolapse images, you'll find some and see it doesn't look at all like what you look like.

Dr. C. :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]155.7017543859649[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Dr. C. :

Let's try that one. If that one doesn't work then I think I can't paste any.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : No image
Dr. C. :

ok, images not working. But anyway, I don't think you have prolapse.

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : Stay there and I will look at the image
Dr. C. :

Here is the link:

Dr. C. :

http://ehealthwall.com/prolapsed-uterus-pictures-symptoms-surgery-treatment-causes/

JACUSTOMER-6s93ylrt- : I don't have that
Dr. C. :

Right.

Dr. C. :

I hope you feel better now. I do aim for excellent service.

Dr. C. :

I appreciate a feedback rating and hope you're worries have been quieted.

Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience: 30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can my boyfriend gave me a uti by fingering me ?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome back. Thanks for asking a new question. Yes it's possible. UTI is caused by bacteria going up into the urethra and into the bladder. The urethra is the tube that the urine comes out of when we pee. The rubbing action of the fingers can push the bacteria up. Sometimes we tell women to pee after having sex (either with the penis or fingers in the vagina). In theory, this gets the bacteria out of the bladder. But there really isn't much research evidence to show this actually helps. Instead, there is research evidence that taking cranberry extract or drinking some cranberry juice daily makes it harder for the bacteria to stick to the walls of the bladder. This makes it harder for them to cause a UTI. Some women who start to feel a bladder infection coming on manage to reverse the symptoms by taking cranberry extract and drinking a lot of water. Please REPLY if I can clarify anything or provide more detail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Right ok cause my doctor tested my pee and I have a uti. And I'm on the second lot of anitboics . Why when see tested it dose. My wee have blood in it .

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes the best way to try to prevent this in the future is to use cranberry extract daily and drink lots of water. Sometimes young women need to use a "prophylactic" dose of antibiotics each time they have vaginal penetration with either fingers or penis. We prescribe a single pill of antibiotics that the woman takes each time she has sex. Ask your doctor if this would be a good idea for you.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2040239-overview

http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=24364

There are a couple of links that talk about this. I hope this was helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I try to send you a picture but I want let me . Plus I have started getting a tight feeling in my tummy and I keep getting a lot of air . Could this be due to my anxiety and worry .

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Anxiety and worry can cause almost any symptom so it's quite possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Even my boyfriend fingered me about 2 weeks ago could it still be brusied down there . And he was rough it was my first time ?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Usually 2 weeks would be enough time to heal from any trauma caused by fingering even if it was a womans first time.