Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I have been bleeding inbetween my periods some days more of

Customer Question

I have been bleeding inbetween my periods some days more of a discharge but most days like my regular monthly amount of blood. Also at the same time my breasts have become extremely tender to touch but getting firmer than usual. I have the meriva cool fitted so can't be pregnant. Is this normal or should I be getting worried?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

You can always be pregnant. The failure rate with any iud is about 3-6/1000 So be sure to do a home pregnancy test.

Dr. K. :

I am assuming that you mean the Mirena iud.

Dr. K. :

This is an iud that secretes progesterone.

Dr. K. :

There can be irregular bleeding with it, mostly in the beginning , but also at any point.

Dr. K. :

20 % of women with Mirena have irregular bleeding.

Dr. K. :

It tends to get better over time.

JACUSTOMER-ypghiafm- : I've had the coil for 3 years I had spotting for the first 6 months then I haven't any since. I feel permanently bloated Like I'm on a period. Occasionally the colour is bright red but mostly dark brown with a disgusting odour
Dr. K. :

The bloating could be due to the hormones. And the odor is just old blood

Dr. K. :

You should be tested for infection and treated for 7 days with and antibiotic like doxycycline for cervicitis. It may help But I believe this is due to the iud