Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

Hi, I had the contraceptive implant fitted 2 years ago. For

I had the contraceptive implant fitted 2 years ago. For the first 18months I did not have a period (as had been the case when I was having the injections prior to this) however over the past 6 months I have started to have periods again and am currently having a VERY heavy one. Could there be something wrong with my implant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

There is nothing wrong with you.

Dr. Lawrence :

There is also nothing wrong with the implant.

Dr. Lawrence :

The hormone in the implants (progestin) has a tendency to cause irregular bleeding.

Dr. Lawrence :

Some women won't have any bleeding, but over time, you can have irregular bleeding.

Dr. Lawrence :

The question is whether you want to continue with this for another year and a half.

Dr. Lawrence :

Let me know when you are available and we can explore this further. You have some options to help the bleeding now. You could take some estrogen to help build up your uterine lining.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them.