Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

On being sent to hospital I noticed on letter my doctor had

Customer Question

On being sent to hospital I noticed on letter my doctor had given me that it stated spina bifida was found on insertion of IUD. I have never been told this, what does it mean to me.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Spina bifida is where there is an opening at the back of the vertebrae in the lower spine. When nerves come out through this opening, it can cause severe neurologic problems.
When there is an opening in the vertebra but no nerves come out, that is called spina bifida occulta. It's actually quite common, affecting up to 20% of the population. Most people who have this are never aware of it, or it's found on an x-ray the way it was found in you.
The large majority of people with spina bifida occulta have absolutely no problem from it. A few may have some lower back problems or neurologic problems.
Assuming that you are otherwise normal, I don't think anything need be done. It is good that your doctor be aware of this, and he/she will be from the report.
Thank you for your payment and rating.