Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Hi I am a bit confused my period is late but I'm not sure

Customer Question

I am a bit confused my period is late but I'm not sure exactly when I ovulated and I have done three tests not sure if it was a faint line or whether it is an evaporation mark can you help?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

When was the first day of your last period?

Dr. K. :

If your period is actually late, there will be a very dark line is you are pregnant.
If you let the test run longer than the instructions, it may read positive, but that is a false positive

Dr. K. :

When you are late for your period and you are pregnant, there will be a very clear and dark line and a positive test. There will be no question.

Dr. K. :

At any rate, Its best to repeat the test in 1-2 days.

Customer : Did several more tests and gp confirmed pregnant. Im 5 weeks, ive just had some brown discharge though, is this a bad sign?
Dr. K. :

Any bleeding in pregnancy is a bad sign and increases your risk of miscarriage unfortunately. You should know for sure at 6 weeks if they do an ultrasound. I hope it goes well