Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hi there, I was diagnosed with a missed miscarriage in June

Hi there, I was diagnosed with a missed miscarriage in June at my 12-week scan (a previous scan at 7w 1d showed good growth and a healthy heartbeat). I had surgery to remove the pregnancy. I was told it was just one of those things and it was likely another pregnancy would be successful. Well, I conceived in the second cycle after the miscarriage, to my amazement. I tried hard to prepare my body for the pregnancy - took good preconception vits, fish oils, had acupuncture - and I'm now 10 weeks pregnant, hopefully. But I'm scared because at 7 weeks I had a small amount of spotting. It was watery and red and a small amount - was just there on the toilet paper once a day for two days, then stopped (I didn't see a doc as I was abroad at the time and as it stopped so quickly it didn't seem worth it). Could this be a sign something went wrong then? I also have very few pregnancy symptoms, which is worrying me.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Have you had an ultrasound since the spotting?
How old are you? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. No scans so far - have one booked for next week and am petrified - and I'm 39, which I know counts against good news :-(

Many women have mild bleeding early in pregnancy. If it doesn't turn into a miscarriage, it's usually not significant. However, a miscarriage often doesn't occur for a number of weeks after the fetus dies.
Having few pregnancy symptoms is a little bit worrying, but some women don't have many symptoms, so it's very hard to know if it means anything.
So you won't know until the ultrasound. You're correct that miscarriage occurs more frequently as a woman ages.
I would say it's probably 50/50 as to whether all is well or not, but that's just a guess. Good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh dear, 50/50 isn't good. I was hoping to feel a bit reassured so I can get through the weekend before my scan but I guess there just isn't much reassurance to be had when you're trying to have a baby at this age. I don't have children yet so have no idea what's a successful pregnancy would feel like, but other than tiredness, thirst and sore breasts, I don't have major symptoms (no sickness). My mother tells me she didn't have symptoms during her three pregnancies but given what happened before I am really worried.

Thanks though.

Actually, the fact that your mother didn't have symptoms during pregnancy is pretty hopeful. Many things about pregnancy run in families. It increases your odds for a good pregnancy.
Since the average chance of miscarriage at age 39 is close to 30% with each pregnancy, I would say your risk is close to that. It's probably not really increased much by 2 days of mild spotting at 7 weeks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dr Norm, fingers crossed. Can I just ask quickly what might have caused that spotting if nothing serious?

We never really know what causes spotting in early pregnancy. We assume there is a slight separation of the placenta from the uterine wall. Whatever it is, it's quite common.