Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Hi I lost a tampon inside while I was on a period I do

Customer Question

Hi I lost a tampon inside while I was on a period I do remember putting another tampon in and it hurting when it usually doesn't but didn't join the dots so for four days while on my period it was in their and I didn't know and just kept putting another in my period stopped after 5 days and I did think it was strange that I had no dead blood as I call it on my panty liners then I noticed a horrible smell and I kept feeling sweaty and shaky kind of like a diabetic hypo so was thinking I needed a diabetic test another day passed still the smell it was awful and feeling weak and like I had a UTI i submitted a sample and it came back clear later I got a bath instead of a shower and found a tampon it was blac brown and slimy got some discharge after with dead blood in it but then felt swollen inside where the tampon had been I've been given nitrofurantoin for a UTI even though it was clear I've had bloods done for kidney infection and that's clear my symptoms are back pain kidney pain on the left well they both hurt but the left is the worst I have a strep tongue but no sore throat I feel a heavy pressure on my bladder and feel the need to urgently urinate 24/7 it's awful I'm sweaty but don't have a temperature I feel weak and exhausted any menial task leaves me sweating drenched wet and shaky red faced my head feels heavy to hold up I feel really crappy please help I feel really ill also feel like I have period cramps and I either have a terrible nights sleep or I sleep right through and struggle to muster the energy to get up which is not like me I'm a 4 hour a night and that's enough for me
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Generally a retained tampon causes no problems once it is removed. But it sounds like you have a uti. That may be the source of your symptoms

Dr. K. :

On rare occasions, pelvic infection can result.

Dr. K. :

Even more rare, toxic shock syndrome can occur

Dr. K. :

If you have any fever or persistant pelvic pain, you need to see a Dr

JACUSTOMER-1t3l1kem- : I have strawberry tongue strep tonge what antibiotics would u prescribe I have the tongue but not the throat
Dr. K. :

This is a feature of toxic shock. You cant just treat yourself with an oral antibiotic. You need to see a Dr right away

JACUSTOMER-1t3l1kem- : I've been to doctors and they wouldn't check for strepoccolis bacteria I don't have a sore throat just the tongue and a24/7 urgent need to urinate can strep cause this and the swollen feeling inside the vagina please help as my doctors aren't listening I'm just been left to suffer
Dr. K. :

Swollen vagina and the tongue you describe can be toxic shock You need to go to a hospital emergency department, not a Dr in a clinic. Please consider a positive rating before you leave the chat

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was sent to the hospital for blood work they looked for toxic shock and kidney infection they ignored my tongue and didn't check for strep thank you for the help u r giving I'm just in a lot of pain and discomfort and the doctor just looks at me blank he won't do bloods for infection I don't know what I'm supposed to do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I now also have a snotty discharge it doesn't smell seems like a creamy pale green help please
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Listen, this is an infection, if it is green. You have to go back to an emergency room at a different hospital Im trying to help but cannot do much online.