Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I went to my G.P for norethisterone to delay period I started

Customer Question

I went to my G.P for norethisterone to delay period I started taken them on 1-11-14 stopped taken 7-11-14 I was told to take 3 a day until not needed anymore. I haven't taken the full dose of 21 equals 3 a day for 6 days. I have taken 14 tablets because I forget to take some. I have know take pregnancy test and its positive what do I do about taking the tablets because it says not to be taken if your pregnant but when I starred them I was not pregnant. It says effects unborn child what effects are there need truth
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

These pills do not prevent pregnancy

Dr. K. :

It will be helpful to know how far along you are when you have an ultrasound and whether or not you were on the pills at the time of conception

Dr. K. :

Most likely there is no increase in birth defects with the use of progesterones. Some studies indicate a small increase in cardiac defects, but it is a very small risk.

Dr. K. :

You are likely very safe and your unborn child should not be affected.