Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago.The scar has

Customer Question

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago.The scar has been sloww to heal with deep bruising.I noticed tat along the scar site there are lumpy ,solid patches.I am not in pain and apart from the deep bruising ,feel ok .
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 2 years ago.
The lumpy solid patches along the line of incision can occur due to mild inflammation along the incision. This is a reactionary inflammation to the cut and not an infective one - if this had been infective, there would have been pain.
Occasionally the sutures may take longer to dissolve and their pull on the tissues can cause the hard lumpy areas.
The lumps and the bruises will clear up gradually in about 4-6 weeks after the surgery.