Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

Is it possible to get a woman pregnant from pre-ejaculatory

Customer Question

Is it possible to get a woman pregnant from pre-ejaculatory fluid? I inserted my penis into the woman briefly without ejaculating. She has not had a period in 5 months, and said it was due to change in birth control though she said she was not currently taking any. She took the morning after pill within 72 hours of the interaction. How worried do I need to be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

You really do not need to be worried for two reasons.

Dr. Lawrence :

1. There should not be any sperm in pre-ejaculate. If you had not previously ejaculated before this episode without washing or urinating, then there should not be any sperm present.

Dr. Lawrence :

2. She took plan b.

Dr. Lawrence :

I personally would not be worried unless you actually ejaculated inside

Dr. Lawrence :

If she takes a pregnancy test 14 days after the episode, you will have an absolute answer, but I absolutely do not believe that what you describe will result in a pregnancy.

Dr. Lawrence :

I hope this is helpful.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please let me know if any questions.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please click on excellent service.

Dr. Lawrence :

JACUSTOMER-mu8472su- :

Does it make a difference if taking plan b was about 60 hours from the time of the interaction? I know that I did not ejaculate inside because I ejaculated later through oral sex. I have heard many different things regarding pre-ejaculate. Is there somewhere that references what you say about there being no presence of sperm. Is it true that some men produce sperm in their pre-ejaculate? Thank you

Dr. Lawrence :

Ideally plan b is taken within 48 hours, but it can be taken later, just not as effective. No pregnancy from pre-ejaculate unless there was residual sperm present from recent prior ejaculation.

Dr. Lawrence :

You can review the information online. You can try webmd. No sperm in pre-ejaculate. You don't cause pregnancy without ejaculating.

Dr. Lawrence :

I need to step away momentarily.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please click on excellent service.

Dr. Lawrence :

I will switch to question and answer mode so I will respond to your follow up posts.

Dr. Lawrence :

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** look into that. I urinated multiple times between ejaculations, including just 5 minutes prior to insertion. Does urination get rid of all prior sperm that were lingering in the penis then or is there a chance that some could have survived even through the urination? I am very satisfied with your response and once given one for this follow up will certainly give you a very high rating. Thank you

Yes, you are fine. Don't worry about that if you urinated. Also, the fact she took the plan b you are very well protected. Just take the pregnancy test 14 days after the episode and you will know for sure that she is not pregnant from this. I feel very comfortable telling you that you are ok from a pregnancy standpoint. But just check the test so you will feel comfortable knowing for sure.
Thank you. Best of luck. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Please click on excellent service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** also told by another doctor 14 days might be too early and might give a false negative, do I have to wait longer, or is there a specific test that would ensure reliability at 14 days?

14 days after the episode is sufficient to check with a home pregnancy test. Typically with today's highly sensitive home tests, you can see it come up positive as early as 8 days. 14 is sufficient and eliminates the false negative issue. You can wait longer if you like, but that may just add to your anxiety about the result.