Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Hi I was diagnosed with hydrosalphinx in both of my Fallopian

Customer Question

Hi I was diagnosed with hydrosalphinx in both of my Fallopian tubes two years ago. Since then the fluids have cleared but I have not fallen pregnant. The doctor said the fimbrai and inside of tubes were damaged. Can tubes naturally repair themselves and can I fall pregnant naturally?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

Unfortunately, once the tubes are damaged in the way you describe, the scar tissue isn't likely to repair itself back to normal. Usually we would do a test called a hysterosalpingogram to see if the tubes are even open enough to allow the egg and sperm to meet.

Dr. C. :

If the tubes are seriously damaged and a woman has trouble getting pregnant, 2 options are to undergo surgery to remove the scar tissue or to undergo IVF. Both of those options cost about the same but IVF is much more likely to result in a healthy pregnancy.

Dr. C. :

Woman who have tubes that have scar tissue are at higher risk of tubal pregnancy, even if they have surgery to remove scar tissue. Surgery to remove scar tissue doesn't always work well so that's why IVF is preferred.

Dr. C. :

I hope this information was helpful. Please REPLY if I can provide more details or answer anything else about this. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation. I aim for excellent service.