Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a hysterectomy (retaining ovaries) 25 years ago because

Customer Question

I had a hysterectomy (retaining ovaries) 25 years ago because of fibroids. I am now 70. Is it possible that I still have cyclical symptoms like tender breasts, increased clear and odourless vaginal discharge, on a regular basis?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
You might have the symptoms, but I don't think it's possible that they are coming from your ovarian hormones (as they did when you were having periods), since your ovaries have to be inactive at age 70.
Breast pain can also be related to caffeine intake, stress, and extra fat in the diet. The amount and clearness of vaginal discharge can also vary for reasons no well understood. An increased vaginal discharge can also be du to atrophic vaginitis, which is an inflammation of the fragile vaginal tissues due to low estrogen after menopause.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I am curious because there is a distinct four-weekly pattern to this, which I have carefully noted for some months out of sheer curiosity! I am in excellent health and have no recollection of any 'menopausal' symptoms after the surgery, even years after. I never did think my ovaries were active in any real sense, but I have no symptoms like vaginal dryness or any thing else associated with post-menopause. Please excuse me for taking your time, as I am not 'ill' or even orried - just curious!

Very interesting. You're welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If this query has been opened to others, can I expect another answer?

Generally a question is only answered by one expert. You might have to re-post it if you wish another expert to answer.