Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I have noticed I have two identical lumps under the skin just

I have noticed I have two identical lumps under the skin just on my labia majora (positioned slightly higher than my clitorous) . They do not hurt to touch , are these glands or lymph nodes? Just seems odd if it was anything sinister as identical on both sides?
Lois
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

Yes it does seem odd to have identically positioned blocked glands. There are lymph nodes in that location but it would be unusual to feel them in that spot unless a woman was very thin.

Dr. C. :

That area of the vulva, on the outer lips near the clitoris is most likely blocked glands. If you can tell that they're within the skin layer, then blocked glands most likely even if bilateral.

Dr. C. :

But if they feel deeper than possibly nodes.

Customer: When I apply gentle pressure I can feel when moving my hand in a circular motion that the lumps are soft and slightly larger than a pea in size? What do you think this can be?
Dr. C. :

If glands, they may soften up and resolve if you apply moist heat.

Dr. C. :

Well they do sound like either blocked glands or lymph nodes. In that location they can be either.

Dr. C. :

But yes you're right it would be unusual to have perfectly bilateral blocked glands.

Customer: Was concerned it could be cancer
Dr. C. :

Not likely at all to be cancer.

Dr. C. :

But in order to be sure, it would be a good idea to treat as if it's blocked glands and if that doesn't improve them, to have them examined.

Dr. C. :

Apply moist heat with a heating pad or a soak in a hot bath for 10 minutes at a time for 4x daily. If they're blocked glands, this should help within a couple of days.

Dr. C. :

If you have something unhappy going on in the genital region otherwise, they could be reactive lymph nodes.

Dr. C. :

In that case, they will generally improve over time too.

Customer: Excellent thanks. It's worth potion ting out I have herpes but this looks in no way to be a sore
Customer: Pointing out
Dr. C. :

Herpes isn't a bump. It starts with slight itching or buzzing, then gets a sore like a small ulcer, just like a cold sore in the mouth.

Dr. C. :

Reactive lymph nodes can trigger in response to herpes.

Dr. C. :

It's possible that your body is suppressing a mild herpes recurrence and this can cause lymph nodes to be temporarily easier to feel.

Customer: yes sorry I meant I have been diagnosed with herpes and thought this may be why swollen glands.. Everywhere you read says glands are in the groin- that caused me concern as no where near my groin!
Dr. C. :

Cancerous lymph nodes are generally larger and rock hard.

Customer: Ok thanks
Dr. C. :

Yes it's true that usually with herpes we see the reactive nodes in the groin.

Dr. C. :

But the chain of lymph nodes that connect from the vaginal and vulvar area to the groin run along the larger labia next to the clitoris.

Dr. C. :

Especially if you were thin, it might be possible to feel them there.

Dr. C. :

I hope this information has been reassuring.

Customer: Thanks for your help
Dr. C. :

You're welcome. Anything else I can help with today?

Dr. C. :

If not, please leave a feedback rating. I aim for excellent service.