Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

In September 2009 I had a Mirena coil fitted due to having

Customer Question

In September 2009 I had a Mirena coil fitted due to having extremely heavy periods. After about three months, my periods completely stopped and I have not had any further problems. I am close to approaching 54 years old and have been going through the menopause for the past four years. I am not on HRT - nor do I want to be. However, the hot sweats are becoming unbearable and increasing in frequency. I can sometimes have 4-5 in one night alone - not to mention the days. My question is this: Is the Mirena attributing to the hot sweats and what will happen if I had it removed - ie: will my periods restart?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I'm pretty sure that the Mirena has nothing to do with your hot flashes. They are the result of decreased estrogen being produced by your ovaries, and are a normal part of menopause.
Usually a woman will know that her periods are done when she goes 1 year without any period. However, since your periods ended due to the Mirena, there is no way to know whether your periods might return if the Mirena was removed.
Once a woman is 55, her periods are usually over. Your periods are likely over, but might not be.
The best treatment we have for hot flashes is estrogen, which can be taken by pills or patches. Sometimes estrogen will result in irregular bleeding in women, but the Mirena will help to prevent that, as well as to prevent any abnormal buildup of the uterine lining. The Mirena is marketed to last for 5 years, but it actually will usually last for 7 years or more.
There are other possible treatments for hot flashes, such as layered clothing, drinking ice water, avoiding caffeine, alcohol, spicey foods, and tobacco, and trying certain prescription medications. None work as well as estrogen replacement.
If you were to try estrogen replacement, and it gave you relief, then you could very gradually taper off the estrogen if you wished.
If the Mirena were removed, there is a pretty good chance that your periods would not start, but they might.
I would discuss this with your doctor, who could write you a prescription for estrogen if you wished.
Thank you for your payment and rating.