Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hi there I had a missed miscarriage in July, had an ERPC,

Customer Question

Hi there
I had a missed miscarriage in July, had an ERPC, got pregnant again in September, but that time had a TRAP sequence pregnancy and sadly the baby died of heart failure just before 13 weeks. I wasn't showing signs of miscarrying naturally and had an ERPC 16 days ago. In the last few days I've had a dull ache in my lower abdomen, mainly at night when lying down - it isn't sharp pain but is intense enough to wake me up sometimes. I have severe IBS, which is playing up at the moment, but this is definitely uterine pain - it feels much like the aches and pains I had in both my pregnancies, which my doctor said was to do with the uterus stretching. I still have some bleeding from my ERPC. It's got less in the last few days but I still have one small gush once a day. Is this all normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I would worry that the bleeding and the dull ache may be from a uterine infection. Most women will only bleed for about 1 week after an ERPC. Bleeding for longer would not be worrisome without the discomfort.
A uterine infection is not unusual after a pregnancy, and when it's mild, there may not be much in the way of symptoms, just extra bleeding and some discomfort.
I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation. If there is any tenderness of your uterus, some antibiotics can be given which can clear any infection. Best wishes.