Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hello My girlfriend and I have just become active,

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I have just become sexual active, the problem comes when I attept to penetrate her vagina, she experiences pain immediately and although she does try to let me continue I feel very uncomfortable knowing she is in pain so we stop, here sexual history is short, she has only had full intercourse twice before and she also says she had no real problems with those times a little bit of pain but this passes with in a few moments. She feels that I am wider than here past partners and thinks this maybe the Maine reason. We really need some advice I really don't know what to do....will the pain go in time if we try enough?....is there anything we can do to try now that will stop the pain with immediate effect?.......lastly just to preempt any thing you might want to know yes we do have suitable fore play before hand and yes she is very well aroused before I attemp it, we are both in very good health I am 29 and she is 21. Really need some advice.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Has your girlfriend had a recent vaginal exam by a doctor? If so, was it completely normal? Was it painful?
Can you tell if her vaginal muscles are extremely tight? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No she has had no recent Dr exam
We do on a regular basis have hand for play where I penetrate her with my fingers, this causes no pain and it does not feel to me as if she is tents.
The first thing I would recommend would be a careful vaginal exam. Something is unusual, and an exam is important to figure it out. Perhaps her hymen was torn by the previous intercourse and now there is some scarring in the hymen area.
Unless you are extremely large down there, the size of the penis is usually not a cause for pain. A woman's vagina is designed to accommodate large sizes (like a baby's head). It might be possible that her hymen is somewhat rigid, and wasn't completely opened from the previous intercourse. Sometimes minor surgery in the office might be needed to open the hymen more.
There are local anestheticx she could use to numb the area, but I would not recommend that until she has had an exam, so as to not cover up a problem. If her exam is normal, she could use 5% lidocaine ointment placed on a cotton ball and inserted in the vaginal opening for 5-10 minutes before sex. I believe 5% lidocaine requires a prescription. Weaker lidocaine solutions are available over the counter.
There is a condition called vaginismus, where the vaginal muscles spasm, causing painful intercourse, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
When you do again attempt intercourse, using some extra lubrication is probably a good idea, unless she is already very wet.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating.