Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Hello, I just learned a family member has PCOS, I want to know

Hello, I just learned a family member has PCOS, I want to know is there a possibility that the cysts will go away. Before doctors thought it was her Appendicitis but know discovered a cyst in her ovaries, she has a scan in 6 weeks is it possible it may disappear. Lastly I've read some cysts will go away within in time can you tell me if they are other types of ovarian cysts that it could be.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Customer:

hello Dr. C

Dr. C. :

Yes there is some recent research that shows that some woman can "grow out" of PCOS. This is more likely if weight in maintained in a healthy range.

Dr. C. :

Customer:

so it is possible for the cyst to go away?

Dr. C. :

Also there is research that taking a B-vitamin supplement called myo-inositol can improve the functioning of the ovaries and reduce such cysts.

Dr. C. :

It depends on the type of cyst. Usually cysts from PCOS are very small but there are a lot of them. If the cyst is larger, it may be a different type of cyst.

Customer:

however does it decrease fertility drastically?

Dr. C. :

Most cysts, do go away over time on their own.

Dr. C. :

Some women with PCOS do have trouble getting pregnant but usually it's fairly easy to solve with some help.

Dr. C. :

Using the myo-inositol supplement will improve ovulation as will keeping the weight in a healthy range.

Dr. C. :

If these 2 measures don't help, it's usually quite easy to get the ovaries going with a fertility medication called clomiphene.

Customer:

so it is possible to be fertile

Dr. C. :

Absolutely.

Dr. C. :

Most women with PCOS either get pregnant on their own or with a little help with clomiphene.

Dr. C. :

It's certainly one of the easier conditions to treat regarding fertility.

Customer:

also is PCOS one part of an ovarian cyst or are there other ovarian cysts

Dr. C. :

With PCOS there are multiple small cysts. The classic ultrasound appearance is described as a "string of pearls". Let me find you an image. I'll be right back.

Customer:

okay thank you

Dr. C. :

This is the classic appearance of a PCOS ovary.

Dr. C. :

This is very different than other ovarian cysts.

Dr. C. :

Customer:

Well thank you so there is hope of fertility however is it possible the scan can show that the cyst have become smaller

Dr. C. :

Yes there is absolutely hope for fertility. Usually with a bit of care from a gynecologist with interest and experience in fertility issues or PCOS, it's not too hard in most cases.

Dr. C. :

Yes with use of myo-inositol and weight control, some women do grow out of PCOS and the cysts will reduce in size.

Dr. C. :

I'm glad I was able to provide some reassuring information for you today.

Dr. C. :

Anything else?

Customer:

thank you very much you've answered the questions i needed answers too

Dr. C. :

Ok, glad to help. In some situation, other medications are used as well. Depends on if the PCOS is also associated with a tendency towards diabetes which sometimes can be the case.

Dr. C. :

Have a good weekend.

Customer:

thank you very much and you too