Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 40 and i am on day three of my periods and since mid day

Customer Question

I am 40 and i am on day three of my periods and since mid day today i have been literally pouring (sorry if this is too much) blood where i am soaking through pads and clothes with one gush (3 nightime pads in the last hr) and I am passing alot of what I can only describe as what looks like chopped liver:( i am concerned......should I be?? What should I do?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
You should be concerned because of the amount of blood that you're losing. If that continues for very long, you will become severely anemic.
The heavy bleeding may be from hormonal changes or from fibroid tumors of your uterus. Both are common at age 40. If your periods have been regular up until now, that makes hormonal changes less likely.
To stop the heavy bleeding, you might need a D&C, or possibly some hormones can resolve the bleeding. Your doctor will decide depending on whether the bleeding is likely hormonal or not.
Hormonal bleeding can be controlled in the future using hormones as needed. Fibroids are treated by various methods, which can include hysterectomy.
What looks like chopped liver is most likely blood clots, and they are common when a period gets very heavy.
I would try to see a doctor today to get the bleeding under control. Until you can see a doctor, lying down will often help to reduce the bleeding somewhat. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply:) I am in the UK and there are no Dr surgeries until Monday. Is it ok to wait until then or is this urgent enough to go to A&E. Dont want to go and look silly for something if its going to seem trivial to doctor at hospital.
3 nightime pads in the last hour is heavy bleeding, and won't be seen as trivial.
If you lie down and the bleeding greatly decreases, you might be OK to wait until Monday. If the bleeding is still significantly more than a period, then I would go to A&E.
Thank you for your payment and rating.