Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hi I hope you can help. I was in microgynon from 19 to 25 (I'm

Customer Question

Hi I hope you can help. I was in microgynon from 19 to 25 (I'm 28 now) and started experiencing spotting around 14 days into the pill. This carried on for a few months so I went to the doctor and was examined and had a smear at 23. This came back normal. It stopped for a few months and then came back, I was examined again and had another smear at 25. Again this came back normal. I was told by the doctor to come off the pill so i did. For a few months my periods were normal and then I moved to another City and my periods became very erratic (either very long or very short, and late or early) so I went back to the doctor who sent me for an ultra sound, internal and external. This came back normal also. I was prescribed a new pill cilest, and for the past 6 months I get spotting exactly 14 days into my pill. It lasts a few days and then stops. It's not heavy but really annoying and I just want it to stop. Please can you offer any advice? My doctor says it's my hormones and that I just should put up with it. Is there nothing I can do? This has been plaguing me for 5 years now! I have also had blood tests which all came back normal and I have no other symptoms, ie- bleeding after sex or pain in my stomach.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Breakthrough bleeding is a common problem in women taking birth control pills. Often it can be resolved by switching to a different pill. Sometimes switching several times is necessary.
It's not really your hormones, since your hormones are the ones in the birth control pill. The hormones from your ovaries are pretty much inactive while you're taking the pill.
Occasionally bleeding such as yours is due to a benign polyp inside the uterus. A sonohysterogram would show this. It's an ultrsound done while inserting saline solution into the uterus. A standard vaginal ultrasound won't show a small polyp. In case a polyp was found, then it could be removed with minor surgery.
If changing your pill doesn't resolve the spotting, and you don't have a polyp, then you might have to live with the spotting or use another method of birth control, such as a progesterone IUD Mirena. Many women stop having any bleeding with that.
The spotting is a nuisance side effect and is highly unlikely to be the result of anything serious.
Thank you for your payment and rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you. Is there no significance as to why it occurs at same time every month?
I'm not really sure, but I think it has something to do with how the hormonal changes affect the uterine lining. It's common when there is breakthrough bleeding that it tends to occur around the same time every month, although that time can vary in different women.