Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hey.. I am taking minesse pills for more than 5 years now and

Customer Question

Hey.. I am taking minesse pills for more than 5 years now and sometimes taking two packs straight (after the 21 pill starting new pack) to avoid period. Few weeks ago I had bleeding I between my period - didn't had sex then. I did it a week ago and again and I'm having little bleeding after sex in the last few days. Like little after and the day after. I have no pain.
Should I be really worried? Is there a chance I just need to change my pills? I also have polycystic ovaries.
Can I still have sex ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
When was the last time you took the placebo pills to have a period? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey,
So now I'm on the 8th pill after looping 2 packs. So the last time was little more then a month ago
I don't think that you need to be worried. What you're having is breakthrough bleeding, which is a common side effect when on the pill. It becomes more common when you try to skip your period. It's kind of like your period really wants to come a little more often than you're letting it.
You might still be having some breakthrough bleeding if you weren't taking 2 packs straight, but running the packs together makes the breakthrough bleeding more likely.
It's possible that if you switched pills, you might have better luck running 2 packs together. There are some packs designed to take for 3 months straight, but it's pretty common with them that women will get some breakthrough bleeding as well.
If there is going to be any irregular bleeding, it's very common that it will come during or after sex.
You can still have sex. And you are still protected from pregnancy just as much as if you weren't having the breakthrough bleeding.
If the bleeding continues, I would either not try running packs together or else talk to your doctor about switching pills.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey again.. So you think it is in for me to have sex tonight? I'm a bit stressed about it. Even went to test my self for chlamydia today. I feel like it's only the bleeding though. No smell or discharge
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also need to add that 3 years ago I had CIN 2 and did the loop. I am always checking me self up
You're correct that chlamydia or gonorrhea can also cause abnormal bleeding, so getting tested is a good idea. But of all the women with breakthrough bleeding on the pill, the large majority don't have any STD.
As far as having sex tonight, you're protected from pregnancy, as long as you haven't missed any pills. Other than that, it's your call.
The bleeding has nothing to do with past or present CIN 2, since that is microscopic changes that don't cause bleeding.
Thank you for your payment and rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to see a gynecologist 4 days ago and was given porvera (5mg 2 tablet 3 times a day for 2 days and then 1 pill 2 times a day). Bleeding stopped for a day and today it's back on. I need it to stop before the evening. Should I take 2 tablets 3 times a day today so that I wouldn't bleed this evening? I will stop both the provera and my miness pills Sunday morning so that I can get period. But need to stop bleeding today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Please read history with previous dr answer as this is a continues if a situation
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Yes that is what we sometimes try, taking 10mg 3x daily, to get bleeding to stop depending on the situation.

I hope it works for you. I read the above thread with Dr. Norm and agree with everything he says.