Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hi, I had intercourse 11 weeks ago. It was unprotected but

Customer Question

Hi, I had intercourse 11 weeks ago. It was unprotected but we used the withdrawl method, and 3 days later I used Ella One because I stressed relentlessly about the pre-ejaculate. 2 days before this intercourse me and my partner did have direct genital to genital contact, this was also unprotected, but it lasted mere minutes, and there was also no ejaculation here (this however would not have been affected by the ellaone pill as it would have been 6 days before). I got a normal period after taking ellaone, and then another one (it was a week late due to stress). I have also taken 10 pregnancy tests and they have all been negative. I have been to visit the doctor about it twice, once getting a urine test done (which was negative). I have had no blood tests done. I am concerned because I have been (very stupidly) looking on the internet and can see people talking about how they couldn't detect their pregnancy until over 11 weeks, maybe even 20 weeks or more. I have heard people talk about how they had periods whilst pregnant, and how they got many false negatives. I am just so worried about this, despite having no symptoms (except perhaps a chance in bowel habits, which I still put down to stress). I have been obsessing over my belly getting larger, too. I just wish I could have a straight answer, the doctor said it is highly unlikely, but that leaves room for possibilities. I am also now on the hormonal implant, so I'm scared that I will be missing periods and will always worry about pregnancy. The only other times I have had intercourse are with condoms, or condoms and the hormonal implant (which I waited a week, as told, to use). I can't seem to get over the anxiety, or the thought it could get to a stage when it is too late to do anything about it. Please help, thank you.

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
A good pregnancy test done on a first morning urine will ALWAYS be positive 4 weeks after sex if there is a pregnancy, unless it is a bad pregnancy that will be a miscarriage (where there isn't enough hcg to cause a positive test).
If you belive much of what you read on the internet, you will be constantly misled.
I suggest counseling. This is not a problem of not being pregnant, it is a problem of not accepting the facts. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Doctor,

Can I just get some insight into how likely you think this is?

I know that the anxiety itself is a huge issue, but the prospect is still something I would like to be analysed by yourself.

Do you think there is any point in getting a blood test done?

Assuming that you've done the pregnancy tests correctly, pregnancy is impossible.
If a blood test would cause you to stop thinking there was a chance of pregnancy, then it would be worthwhile.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much.

I did 10 clear blue and they all came up negative, and also came up (in the other window) with the blue line that says the test has worked and been done correctly.

I assume, even at 11 weeks, the signs of pregnancy, and the test results, would all indicate a pregnancy if there was one.

Thank you very much for your help.

If I may, can I ask a separate question very quickly?

The partner I am with now, and active with, was a virgin when we met, and I was too, is there any chance I could be at risk of contracting HPV in this situation? I have not had the vaccine, and as I live in the Uk I cannot get pap smears until age 25. Do I have any cause to worry?

I sort of assumed that since we were both virgins (and had both never had any contact with any body else sexually or even romantically) the chance of contracting HPV is rather small?

Thank you very much for your help, sorry to be asking so many questions.

It's unlikely but not impossible that a virgin (male or female) can get HPV in the genital area. HPV is a very common virus, and can be passed on fingers. However, you probably could not have the high risk HPV that causes cervical cancer.
You don't need a Pap smear, since HPV takes many years to cause cervical cancer. But why not get the HPV vaccine? I recommend it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much, that is extremely helpful.

I will look into the vaccine.

Can I just ask, one more time, would the symptoms of pregnancy, at 11 weeks and over, be very obvious, and would I know before 24 weeks that I was pregnant? I am assuming missing a pregnancy after all of these tests, and at that late a stage, is virtually impossible?

Yes, I believe it would be impossible to miss a pregnancy after 11 weeks with negative pregnancy tests.
Symptoms of pregnancy vary so much in different women that I don't go much be symptoms. However, testing is reliable in everyone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much.

And I suppose having 2 normal menstrual periods confirms this also?

Yes. Even one normal menstrual period is good evidence that there is no pregnancy, although as you stated, some women do have bleeding during pregnancy that can be mistaken for a period.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much.

I think I am now fully satisfied, I don't think a blood test is needed but will consult a doctor if I do start getting worried again.

The fact you have said it is impossible so long as the tests have been done correctly has helped me greatly, thank you very much!

You're welcome.
Thank you for your payment and rating.