Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I've noticed my hair has been receiding and falling out...

I've noticed my hair has been receiding and falling out... I have suffered with PCOS since I was 18 now 28 the only other thing is my vitamin D has been low which coincides how long the hair loss has been happening.
Could the hair loss be down to the Vitamin D rather than the Pcos?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

It's possible but since PCOS is an androgen dominant situation, it's more likely due to that. Treatment options are to use birth control pills to decrease free testosterone and spiranolactone to block the testosterone receptor at the skin.

Dr. C. :

Beyond that, a dermatologist may have some additional suggestions.

Dr. C. :

Other possible causes for hair loss are anemia and thyroid disorder.

Dr. C. :

Those both should be checked.

Customer: Ok I see the oh thing is I was told 4 months ago my v D was low but I didn't collect vitamins and I've only been losing hair in the last 4 months I've also gone through a break up with my husband so I genuinely don't know if this is stress vitamin or PCOS related
Dr. C. :

This is something that we do see in PCOS.

Dr. C. :

So my recommendation when I see someone with hair loss is to check for anemia, thyroid disease and if there is low Vitamin D, to treat that as well.

Dr. C. :

To decrease the effect of PCOS on hair growth and loss, a combination of birth control pills and spiranolactone is the recommended treatment.

Customer: I know but I've never had hair loss before and in the last 5 months there are indicating factors - maybe it is PCOS but I want to take the right meds
Dr. C. :

Yes, have you been on birth control pills and spiranolactone yet?

Customer: No nothjng as birth control gives me lots of side affects
Dr. C. :

What kind of side effects?

Dr. C. :

Need to figure out if it's BCPs in general or just a matter of finding the right one.

Dr. C. :

You can be just on the spiranolactone if you can't tolerate BCPs

Dr. C. :

So the advice is to treat the Vitamin D deficiency if there is one. Check to see if there is anemia or thyroid disease as a possible cause of hair loss. Start spiranolactone. That can take up to 6 months to notice an improvement. If nothing is working, see a dermatologist to see if there are any more options.

Dr. C. :

Any questions?

Dr. C. :

Please REPLY if you have any other questions for me or would like to add more details.

Dr. C. :

I would like you to feel like you've gotten excellent service.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry it's rated you as bad service it should read excellent how do I change it?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
The way to change it is that with this reply there should be a new set of rating options. If you just click on excellent, it'll remove the previous rating. Thanks for letting me know and good luck.