Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

am 70 years old on oestrogen cream for vaginal astrophy? but

Customer Question

am 70 years old on oestrogen cream for vaginal astrophy? but get some breakthroughs - I know I have a fibroid - now doc is saying could be the cream is making it worse have I got to spend the rest of my life wearing pads - feeling desperate thankyou
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

By breakthroughs do you mean bleeding?

Dr. C. :

At age 70, it would be very unusual for the estrogen cream to be making things worse. It seems more likely that you're not getting enough. But the way to solve this question would be to do an ultrasound and measure the lining of the uterus.

Dr. C. :

If the estrogen is making it worse, it would show the lining is thickening. But if too little estrogen, the lining measurement would be very thin.

Dr. C. :

I do know that I have one patient in my practice who does have to wear panty liners for very slight pink tinged discharge that I haven't been able to solve and I'm convinced isn't related to a precancer or cancer.

Dr. C. :

But otherwise, getting an ultrasound can help guide treatment.

Dr. C. :

If there hasn't been a biopsy or camera hysteroscopy recently, a recheck to be certain that there is no cancer or precancer developing would be recommended management.

Dr. C. :

If this has been checked in the past, that's fine but if it hasn't been checked in the past year, it should be checked again because something may have changed since the last check.

Dr. C. :

Please REPLY if I can provide more details or explain anything better. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.