Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

I am 19+1 weeks pregnant, had cervical length at 17+5 which

I am 19+1 weeks pregnant, had cervical length at 17+5 which was 5cm and closed, had another cervical length at 19 weeks - only 9 days later and it had gone down to 3.5 and closed. I know this is within normal limits but shouldn't it be closer to 4cm at this stage and is 1.5cm not a lot to lose in such a short space of time? Will I continue to lose that quickly?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Are you considered high risk?
What was the reason for the 2 ultrasounds so close together?
Were the 2 ultrasounds done at the same place? Thank you.l
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had an additional scan at 17+5 due to some pain which they put down to ligament pain as everything seemed fine. The second scan was routine anomaly scan. The scans were done at two different hospitals and I haven't been classed as high risk.
First, there is no evidence that cervical length screening is helpful except in women who are at high risk for preterm birth (previous preterm birth, etc.)
Second, if the 2 scans were done different places, they may differ some because technique makes a difference when measuring cervical length.
That does seem like a big difference in only 9 days time. I doubt that it is significant, but a repeat scan in a couple weeks would probably help ease your mind. Most likely you won't lose any more, and if the scan is done at the same place you had the first one, the length might be closer to the first measurement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What reasons could there be for such a big difference? They won't be giving me another scan as they said 3.5 is in the normal range and cervix was fully closed. Could different technique account for such a large difference?
Different technique probably accounts for most of the difference.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does difference in technique vary from hospital to hospital or from doctor to doctor as I have never seen the same person. Also how could a different technique account for such a large discrepancy? I could understand a few mm but over 1cm seems quite significant
I don't think I can help you. I will opt out. Perhaps another expert can assist you better.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well how do I ensure I don't pay for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
Do you want a new answer or are you interested in not paying?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like a new answer if possible?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.
There are a couple of reasons for the variation you experienced. The cervix can vary. There is something called a dynamic cervix where it can shorten and lengthen. Also, there is variation with the technique and the examiner. The angle that the ultrasound probe is held can change the measurement. With that being said, I agree that the cervix being closed and 3.5 cm is still reassuring. I would no be concerned with the variation at this point. As long as it remains closed and is close to 4 cm, then that is reassuring moving forward. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** dynamic cervix is there a concern that my cervix may shorten the same amount in a short space of time again? Would it be better to insist on regular checks or is it ok to leave it?
I think that 9 days was a little early to check it the last time. What is the reason they are checking your cervix?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i had the scan at 17 weeks due to some pain and the scan 9 days later was a routine anomoly scan that was already arranged and they done measurements as part of routine scan I believe
If no prior history of second trimester loss with suggestion of cervical incompetency in this past or history of prior surgeries on the cervix, then I would not worry at all about the results here. Your cervix is normal.
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience: Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
Customer: replied 2 years ago.