Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I had genital warts about 5 years ago. They were treated and

I had genital warts about 5 years ago. They were treated and went away after a few months they have never come back as far as I am aware. I have a few questions. Does the body clear the virus, or make it dormant to the point its unlikely to come back? Im asking because I am wondering what the chances of a reoccurrence are after this amount of time.
I have spilt up with my long term boyfriend (he never got warts) and am starting a new relationship and was wondering about chance of transmission after this amount of time? Am I doomed for ever to need to check and tell partners?
I have seen many contradictions online some say the virus is cleared after 2 years, some say always contagious?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

If the warts you had 5 years ago never came back it is very unlikely that they ever will.

Dr. K. :

If you did not pass the virus to your ex bf, you are not likely infectious.

Dr. K. :

The virus does not stay dormant in skin as easily as it does in the cervix as its a different type of virus that causes hpv on the skin vs the cervix.

Dr. K. :

If you have a normal pap smear and no clinical evidence of the virus, you are not contagious.

Dr. K. :

Bear in mind that if you have unprotected sex, you can always contract a new hpv strain.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** a borderline pap, just after the warts, but it was normal at 6 months and they did a hpv test at the time and it was negative for all including hpv 6 and 11. So after this time the warts are unlikely to come back? I just see about when immune system is low ect. It's confusing and I don't know what to think

Dr. K. :

Thats great that the hpv was negative Thats a dna probe and very accurate. It means you dont have it.

Dr. K. :

The only way to get it back is to be reinfected by somebody new

Customer:

Ok, so the idea that warts lie dormant and come back after years you think is not likely?

Customer:

Also the hpv test was obviously from the cervix and not where the warts previously were, so does that mean I am only negative on the cervix or everywhere? Thanks sorry

Dr. K. :

Not genital warts and not if you are hpv negative

Dr. K. :

I

Dr. K. :

Its not dormant in the skin that long and it would be positive everywhere

Dr. K. :

Youre clear