Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am on the contraceptive pill and have been years.

Customer Question

I am on the contraceptive pill and have been for many years. I am in a monogamous relationship with my long term partner and have been tested for STIs in the past. I have got Genital herpes and have previously been treated for Chlamydia. Sometimes (not on my period breaks) i experience a strong smelling discharge(not fishy) & brown/pink in colour. I dont experience pain during sex or after. Occasionally if i move too quickly i get a sharp pulling pain just below my belly button. I am worried this could be PID? Although i would have thought i would be in discomfort and with the discharge continuously? When i have had this before i have been tested again for STIs and they have come back clear.
I take my pill for 3 months back to back as advised by the doctor.
Do you have any idea what this could be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

These symptoms are not pid

Dr. K. :

Pid causes consistent pain that worsens with each day. The pain is lower pelvic and back. Sometimes there is a fever. It does not get better on its own.

Dr. K. :

It sounds like the discharge is breakthrough bleeding, a common side effect of the pill

Dr. K. :

Its unlikely you have pid

Customer :

Why would there be a strong smell then? Just because of the breakthrough bleeding.hormone changes?!

Dr. K. :

Bleeding that is light causes a bad smell due to old blood, very common