DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST
Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
15221770

weeks prior to my period my moods are extremely un

Customer Question

For two weeks prior to my period my moods are extremely un stable I've tried anti depressants and pill but my moods are still the same
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 2 years ago.
I think you are suffering from pre menstrual syndrome (PMS)
There are many PMS symptoms. The number and severity of symptoms vary from woman to woman. In addition, the severity of the symptoms can vary from each month. Common PMS symptoms include:
Bloating
Breast tenderness
Weight gain
Aggression
Trouble concentrating
Headaches/backaches
Food cravings/overeating
Fatigue
Tearfulness
Irritability
Anxiety
Mood swings and/or depression
Up to 85% of menstruating women experience some of these symptoms related to their period, while only 2%-10% experience severe symptoms.
You will be better able to deal with your symptoms if you can relate how you're feeling to your menstrual cycles, knowing that you will feel better once your period starts. Keeping a monthly symptom diary will help track your PMS symptoms, as well as their severity and how long they last. While symptoms may vary from month to month, this diary can give you a good idea of how your periods affect your physical health and moods. Learning how to cope with the problems in your life may help relieve the stress and irritability you feel before your period. If you experience severe anxiety, irritability, or depression, counseling and/or medication may be helpful.
A healthy diet is important to overall physical and mental wellness. Making changes in your diet -- including reducing the amount of caffeine, salt, and sugar you eat -- may help relieve PMS symptoms. In some cases, nutritional supplements may be recommended. These include vitamin B6, vitamin E, calcium, and magnesium. The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology recommends a diet high in complex carbohydrates.
Exercise. Like a healthy diet, regular exercise, especially aerobic exercise like walking, can improve your overall health. It also can help relieve -- and help you cope with -- PMS symptoms.
Medications. Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) -- such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil), and naproxen (Aleve) -- may help relieve symptoms such as headache, backache, cramps, and breast tenderness. Medications may be prescribed in cases of severe depression or anxiety. Certain antidepressants may be useful to treat severe PMS. Oral contraceptives have been prescribed to treat PMS and may be helpful, but there is little data to support their effectiveness.
THANK YOU