Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

..i had my period on the 12th of jan this year...my cycle

Customer Question

Hi..i had my period on the 12th of jan this year...my cycle is 33 days..with my calculations im due my period again on the 13th feb..this Friday.....I went for my smear last Monday told the nurse my details etc...she said I was due my period on the 9th or 10th feb...could you tell me if that's right pls...thanks grainne
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

Nobody can accurately predict when your period will come.

Dr. Lawrence :

Periods come 14 days after ovulation. So without knowing exactly when you ovulated, you can't tell what day your period will come.

Dr. Lawrence :

With that being said, if your periods are regularly 33 days, then it is more likely that you will continue that trend.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them.

JACUSTOMER-zusuaiq5- :

hi my ovulation was on Monday the 26th....jan.....

Dr. Lawrence :

How do you know that exactly? If that is the case, then you will get your period 14 days later, which was yesterday. So doubtful that you ovulated that day.

JACUSTOMER-zusuaiq5- :

I did cause we are trying for a baby and im using the ovulation monitor and the smile face was on it

Dr. Lawrence :

I see. Well it measures the peak LH surge, so you ovulate usually after that. If you haven't gotten your period in the next couple of days, then check a pregnancy test :)

Dr. Lawrence :

You can check one now, but if it is not positive, then repeat it again at least a few days later.

Dr. Lawrence :

Let me know how it turns out.

Dr. Lawrence :

Are you still there?

Dr. Lawrence :

Do you have any questions?

Dr. Lawrence :

I am happy to answer them.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please provide positive feedback. Thank you.

Dr. Lawrence :

Best of luck. Please let me know the results of your pregnancy test.

Dr. Lawrence :

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so sorry my children came in the door from school....I did the monitor again the day after the same time...and it was a blank circle.....do you think these ovuation tests are good

Unfortunately, I think that the ovulation kits are often inaccurate. That doesn't mean that they are worthless, but they are not 100%. The best thing to do is to have sex every other day or 4 times a week throughout the entire month, every month, regardless of what the OPK tells you. This will increase your chances of naturally conceiving to about 85% in 6 months.