Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

I had sex a week ago and have notice a bad odour down below

Customer Question

I had sex a week ago and have notice a bad odour down below since. I am really worried
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

Most likely you have a bacterial infection called bacterial vaginosis. This is a condition where the normal bacteria in the vagina gets out of balance and you get some overgrowth.

Dr. Lawrence :

THis is treated with a antibiotic called metronidazole.

Dr. Lawrence :

It is not sexually transmitted.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please let me know if you have any specific questions when you are available and I will be happy to answer them.

Dr. Lawrence :

Best of luck.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please click on excellent service.

Dr. Lawrence :

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will Balance Active suppositories help?

It may help to prevent it in the future, but it won't treat it. To treat it, you really need the antibiotic I mentioned. Thank you for your payment and rating. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the smell went away a day later after starting the antibiotic and using just on BA suppository. However, there has been a lot of itch and pain. I think it may be thrush which i have been prone to since i was in my early 20s, long before i was sexually active. Over the counter treatments for thrush are not working on this ocassion. any advice?

Glad to hear it is getting better. It is very possible that you have a yeast infection as well. Ask your doctor for a script for Diflucan 150mg. It is a one time oral pill. It takes about a week for the symptoms to resolve completely.