DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST
Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
15221770

My period was a couple of days late so I did a home pregnancy

Customer Question

My period was a couple of days late so I did a home pregnancy test. It was negative. I did another the next morning and it was positive. I did another 6 that day which were all negative and one the next morning using the same kind of test as before but this time it also showed negative. Then I got my period, which was normal in heaviness and duration. I have since done 2 tests which were both negative (2weeks since the first test) but my doctor has asked me to do a blood test. I'm scared I have cancer or something malevolent as I am clearly not pregnant. Could I have cancer? Why did I get a false positive? I was definitely doing the test correctly....
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 1 year ago.
Please tall me how many tests you performed totally?
when the 2 tests were done?
Do you have any pregnancy symptoms?
The period you was normal as per duration and amount, but did you observe any tiny grape like material in menstrual blood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no other symptoms. I did 6 tests on 14th February, 1 on 15th (in the morning, first thing), I got me period on 17th and I did 2 tests today (26th). Nothing unusual about my period in terms of consistency.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
26 February 2015 14:23 ESTI have no other symptoms. I did 6 tests on 14th February, 1 on 15th (in the morning, first thing), I got me period on 17th and I did 2 tests today (26th). Nothing unusual about my period in terms of consistencyAlso 1 negative test on the evening of 13th, which was negative; the first test I did on 14th was positive and all others have been negative. I had a normal smear test in April if that helps.
Thanks for your response and information.
All test were negative for pregnancy except one ,you had your normal
period ,only late for few days.It is not understood why the advice for blood test comes in consideration and any suspicion of cancer does not arise in anyway.
There are two problems one is positive test and another is late period.
though the sensitivity of HPT kit test is very high false positive or false negative may occur and further as you started your period which is normal in all features you can neglect the positive result.
Late period may occur due to many reason and it is a separate issue and should be investigated if necessary.Commonly it is due some hormonal imbalance if not pregnancy.
When a viable pregnancy is lost the conversion of positive urine test to negative urine test will take at least 2 days.But in your case the positive test converted to negative within 24 hours.
Still if I consider that you had a pregnancy and that had expired one or two days back without any symptoms (it may occur) and so you had a negative test after a positive test test,and after few days you started bleeding (which is actually an abortion)
which you thought as normal period, but no problem after the period like irregular spotting or bleeding . If such happened there is nothing to be worried as abortion process has been completed and no question of further blood test or no question of cancer.
thank you
Experience: MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
Thanks ***** expected excellent service.