Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

My period is late my last one was December, I'm not pregnant

Customer Question

My period is late my last one was December, I'm not pregnant I've done two tests both negative. I'm worried that there maybe an underlying problem an I wont be able to have children
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

There are many possible reasons for skipped periods. Most of the reasons do not seriously impact fertility if the cause is treated.

Dr. C. :

Stress is the most common cause of skipped periods, but this usually only results in a few months of skips at most.

Dr. C. :

If more than 2 months of skips, we usually start by testing for thyroid dysfunction and elevations in prolactin level.

Dr. C. :

Those are both 2 common and easy to treat causes of skipped periods. Once the underlying condition is treated, the periods go back to normal and fertility is restored.

Dr. C. :

Other causes of skipped periods include eating disorders, excessive exercise and various medications.

JACUSTOMER-edrqhmsw- : I had light spotting a few weeks ago but they are so irregular
Dr. C. :

If a woman also has increased hair growth, the cause may be a condition called polycyctic ovarian syndrome. Often woman with PCOS are also heavy.

Dr. C. :

It would be rare to have premature menopause as a cause but we sometimes test for that cause too.

Dr. C. :

So the bot***** *****ne is that if your periods are irregular, we would take more history, do an exam, get some lab work and perhaps an ultrasound. That would help us figure out the cause and come up with a proper treatment plan.

Dr. C. :

Usually we'd be able to treat and restore fertility.

JACUSTOMER-edrqhmsw- : I've had two negative pregnancy tests me and my partner have unprotected sex and have done for 3 years we use the "pull out method" but one time a few weeks he didn't hand it happened but I'm just really worried
Dr. C. :

The only way to help with the worry is for you to get a proper evaluation.

Dr. C. :

We'd normally do a full evaluation if a woman has had unprotected sex for 1 year, but we start evaluation at 6 months if a woman has irregular period or is over 35.

Dr. C. :

Any questions?

Dr. C. :

I'm wondering why you're rating me with bad service?

Dr. C. :

We still have 9 minutes of chat time.

Dr. C. :

I paused the timer to be sure there was plenty of time to answer all your questions so that you have the excellent service you deserve.

Dr. C. :

Is there a problem with the site functioning? Is chat not working well for you?

Dr. C. :

I've been giving you excellent correct information on how board certified gynecologist would respond to the information you've given me in your question.

Dr. C. :

I've paused the timer again so you have a chnace to think about how best to use the remaining time while you have a highly qualified expert in chat with you.

Dr. C. :

chance

JACUSTOMER-edrqhmsw- : Thank you for your time I will go to the local gp Monday
Dr. C. :

And please do consider changing your feedback rating to reflect the help you are being given.

Dr. C. :

Yes, you can print out this chat so you know what to expect will happen.

Dr. C. :

If the doctor doesn't follow approximately the steps I've outlined, you should get a second opinion.

Dr. C. :

Anything else I can help with today. We still have 8 minutes of chat left.

Dr. C. :

I'll leave the timer paused to give you plenty of time.

Dr. C. :

You can even come back later if you want.