Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I had an internal scan 3 weeks ago on day 23 of my cycle. The

I had an internal scan 3 weeks ago on day 23 of my cycle. The scan showed no cysts on my ovaries and nothing else untoward except a slightly overthickened endometrium at 14mm. But on days 11 to 16 I had an extremely painful pressure, 'bruising', aching, dull pain on my right lower side, around my right ovary. I have had this pain before and it can be debilitating for a few days, then leave a dull pain for a few weeks. It sounds like an ovary problem, but nothing has ever shown up on scans!? Can you shed any light on this problem? Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

If you are menstruating an endometrial stripe of 14 mm is not abnormal in any way

Dr. K. :

The pain you are describing could be ovulation. It would not show up on an ultrasound because it is not abnormal and would be over on day 23.

Dr. K. :

In addition, a normal follicle would not be read on the report as abnormal

Dr. K. :

Often women who have very painful ovulation have endometriosis or another underlying problem. It may be time for a diagnostic laparoscopy. If you have not seen a gyn surgeon who does surgery, that would be a good option.

Customer: Thanks for that. I have suffered with this on and off for about 10 years. I get the pain firstly as a dull ache, then by ovulation and for about 3-4 days after it gets VERY painful. It can last weeks, then go away for 6months or more. Nobody has taken me seriously because it doesn't follow a pattern as such. I have seen many gyns over the years but that's all they have suggested is going on the pill or having a coil. They have also tried to say it could be IBS but pooping doesn't help at all. The pressure from that seems to make it worse! Can endometriosis only be found by laparoscopy? Thanks
Dr. K. :

The pill is actually the first treatment If you have not tried that at all, you should try it first.

Dr. K. :

Yes endometriosis is found by laparoscopy which is why I suggested it, but you should always try the pill first