Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

, my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant

Hi, my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 18months with no success. I started using an ovulation test recently that does the dual hormone check. A few weeks ago I got the high fertility, but never got the peak fertility. My period is now 10 days late (never had any irregularity in the past - 27 days like clockwork), and I did a pregnancy test that was negative. I thought maybe I just missed a period through perhaps not ovulating, so thought I better start the ovulation test again for the next month. Yesterday that registered no hormones, but today has jumped from nothing to peak fertility, missing out high fertility. I'm very confused. Next Wednesday I'm booked in at the hospital for scans and the like for fertility testing, but don't want to do that if I may be pregnant, or perhaps have a randomly timed period! I have no idea what's going on, do you?!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

Dr. Lawrence :

I am sorry you are experiencing this.

Dr. Lawrence :

Unfortunately, it is very common to have an irregular cycle once you start monitoring them. I see it all the time and it is likely due to stress.

Dr. Lawrence :

The ovulation kits unfortunately are not 100% accurate and can give you misleading information like you have experienced.

Dr. Lawrence :

If you have been trying to conceive for 18 months, then you really are past the point of trying to do home monitoring by yourself.

Dr. Lawrence :

You really need to be seen by a fertility specialist so that both of you can be tested. Your husband needs a semen analysis. And you should have blood work done and your cycle monitored in real time with blood work and ultrasound.

Dr. Lawrence :

Also, you may need a radiology test to look at the fallopian tubes to see if they are open.

Dr. Lawrence :

Ideally you should be trying to conceive every other day throughout the whole month. Based on 27 days cycles, your peak fertility time is Day # ***** to 16 (if you count the first day of your period as day # *****).

Dr. Lawrence :

But I would not get too concerned about the abnormal cycle this month. If your pregnancy test was negative at 10 days late, then you did not get pregnant this last cycle.

Dr. Lawrence :

I really hope that you can arrange to see a fertility specialist. At 18 months, that is what is needed. The ovulation kit is going to be of limited help at this point.

Dr. Lawrence :

I hope this is helpful.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please click on excellent service.

Dr. Lawrence :

Dr. Lawrence :

Best of luck.

Dr. Lawrence :

Do you have any questions?

Customer: It is thank you. I've had a blood test with the GP and hubby's sperm test was all fine, I've been referred on to the hospital for the next stage of checks next week, so hopefully will know more then.
Dr. Lawrence :

Excellent. I am glad that they are moving you into the next phase of investigation.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to answer them.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please click on excellent service.

Dr. Lawrence :

Thank you and best of luck.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.