DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST
Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
15221770

Lost tampon and antibiotics

Customer Question

Hi. Last week I had a lost tampon that might have been there for at least 4 days and not more than six. I went to my GP who removed it and prescribed me metronidazole and ofloxacin, and I am a bit worried about these antibiotics. The doctor was obviously disgusted (I don't blame her) and showed quite a lot of annoyment, and prescribed me those antibiotics without knowing my history or advising me of what to do if I get adverse effects. 
Since then, I don't feel really bad and I am doing my usual things, but I have upset stomach, I feel dizzy from time to time, I have a (apparently quite common) bad taste in my mouth, and since this afternoon (after 3 days taking the antibiotics) I feel a mild pain in my breasts, either one or the other but never at the same time.
I am not one of those paranoids about medicines or drugs, in fact I myself work for a pharmaceutical company. However, seeing the (not that uncommon) effects of those antibiotics has made me wonder if there is no safer option, why I wasn't warned of how could I feel when taking the medicines, or what to do in case of an adverse effect (and even whether it is was worth reporting or not), and also the doctor did not even check that I actually had an infection -I was at the surgery for 10 minutes or so.

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 2 years ago.
I can confirm you that every doctor should start some antibiotic even no sign of infection after removing the tampon stayed for 4 to 5 days.
The drugs used by your doctor are recommended by any slandered text book practised by most doctors.
The problems you described are from tab metronidazole. All you described are very common side effects of metronidazole and unfortunately there is no alternative (tinidazole or secnidazole may cause the same side effects)
In my opinion you should take metronidazole in full stomach and with antacid and continue it for 2 days at least. If you can not tolerate still , leave it and continue only ofloxacin.
There will be no harm.