Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

, I had sex (with condom) and experienced mild viginal bleeding,

Customer Question

Hi, I had sex (with condom) and experienced mild viginal bleeding, which did not continue the next day (i.e. it was not periods), although I have not experienced this the very few times I had sex before. Should I be worried (I am 24).
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How regular are your periods?
Do you use any hormones? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't use any hormones and my periods are pretty regular.

I wouldn't be worried. It's very unlikely that the bleeding is anything serious.
Usually when there is bleeding with sex, it means there was going to be some bleeding anyway, and the sex brought it on. Since you have regular periods, it's probably not a hormonal problem. It's possible that you have a polyp or something like that in your cervix that bled. Polyps are almost always benign.
If it happens again, I would probably see your doctor to check it out. In case there is a polyp, it's generally easily removed in the office. If there is some other reason for the bleeding, your doctor can take care of it.
Perhaps it will never happen again, and then you can forget it. At your young age, it would be rare to find any serious cause of the bleeding. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment.